This Web page provides the public with background information regarding the Department’s negotiated rulemaking effort to make changes to the regulations for the programs authorized by Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, in 2018-2019. For more information about negotiated rulemaking in general, please see our question and answer page.
Federal Register Notices by Date
- Unofficial copy of the Federal Register notice relating to Negotiator Nominations and Schedule of Committee Meetings, October 15, 2018 MS Word (52K)
- Intent to Establish Negotiated Rulemaking Committee; Public Hearings
On July 31, 2018, the Department published a notice in the Federal Register announcing our intention to establish a negotiated rulemaking committee to prepare proposed regulations for the Federal Student Aid programs authorized under title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (HEA). This notice announced three public hearings at which interested parties may comment on the topics suggested by the Department in the notice, and suggest additional topics for consideration for action by the negotiated rulemaking committee.
Written comments submitted in response to this notice may be viewed through the Federal eRulemaking Portal at www.regulations.gov. Instructions for finding comments are available on the site under "How to Use Regulations.gov" in the Help section. Individuals can locate the appropriate docket for the notice by entering Docket ID ED-2018-OPE-0076 in the search box.
Public Hearing Information
- September 6, 2018, at the U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave. SW, Barnard Auditorium, Washington, DC 20202.
- Transcript: PDF (632K)
- September 11, 2018, at Xavier University, Convocation Center Annex, Room 111, Building 62, 7800 Washington Ave., New Orleans, LA 70125.
- Transcript: PDF (145K)
- September 13, 2018, at Gateway Technical College, SC Johnson iMET Center, 2320 Renaissance Blvd., Sturtevant, WI 53177.
- Transcript: PDF (290K)
The Washington, DC public hearing will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Eastern Daylight Time. The New Orleans, LA and Sturtevant, WI public hearings will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., Central Daylight Time.