Section 208 of the E-Government Act of 2002 helps to ensure that agencies put in place sufficient protections for the privacy of personal information in implementing a citizen-centered electronic government. It requires agencies to conduct Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs) for information technology (IT) systems or projects that collect, maintain or disseminate information in identifiable form from or about members of the public or when initiating a new electronic collection of information in identifiable form for 10 or more persons (excluding agencies, instrumentalities, or employees of the federal government).
Among other things, the PIA process requires agencies to review what information is collected, why the information is collected, how the information will be used by the agency, with whom the information will be shared, and how the information is handled and secured when using IT to collect new information or when developing or buying new IT systems to handle collections of personally identifiable information. PIAs conducted for " major information systems," as defined in OMB Circular A-130 (Section 6.u.) and OMB Circular A-11 (section 300-4 (2003)), reflect more extensive analysis of the consequences of collection and flow of information, the alternatives to the collection and handling as designed, the appropriate measures to reduce risks identified for each alternative, and the rationale for the final design choice or business process.
In general, agencies are required to make PIAs publicly available through publication in the Federal Register or through posting on agency websites.
The objectives of a PIA include:
- Provide a tool to make informed policy and system design or procurement decisions based on an understanding of privacy risks and options available for mitigating these risks.
- Ensure that system and program managers are accountable for the proper handling of privacy issues.
- Provide basic documentation on the flow of personal information within systems for use and review by policy, program, and management staff; systems analysts; and security specialists.
- Provide the public with assurances that their personal information is protected.
Privacy Impact Assessments
The following are official Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs) of significant initiatives at the U.S. Department of Education (listed by Principal Office).
NOTE: if a PIA below indicates that it is "certified as valid," that means that, during a required review of the PIA, the system owner determined that the initial PIA was still accurate and valid, and did not need to be updated.
- Access and Identity Management System (AIMS) (PDF, 109.0KB), July 25, 2016
- Aspire Resources, Inc. (NFP-ARI) (PDF, 1.2MB), January 12, 2012
- Central Processing System (CPS)/FASFA on the Web (PDF, 129KB), August 8, 2017
- Common Origination and Disbursement (COD) (PDF, 269KB), May 20, 2016
- Cornerstone System (PDF, 514.9KB), December 2, 2011
- Customer Engagement Management System (CEMS) (PDF, 90KB), December 3, 2018
- Debt Management and Collection System (DMCS) (PDF, 147.6KB), June 30, 2014
- Digital Communications Tool (DCT) (PDF, 87KB), November 22, 2017
- DOED Perkins ED Loan Servicing System (PDF, 146KB), January 13, 2016
- Electronic Cohort Default Rate Appeals (eCDRA Appeals) (PDF, 251KB), February 27, 2019
- Enterprise Data Warehouse and Analytics (EDWA) (PDF, 128KB), March 30, 2017
- EZ Audit (PDF,178KB), November 16, 2018
- Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) (PDF, 137KB, October 6, 2017)
- FFELP Student Loan Servicing System (PDF, 175.8KB), September 29, 2010
- Financial Management System (FMS) (PDF, 102KB), November 29, 2018
- Granite State Management and Resources (GSMR) New Hampshire (NFP-NH) (PDF, 472.5KB), June 8, 2012
- Great Lakes Computer System (GLCS), Great Lakes Educational Loan Services, Inc. (GOALS) (PDF, 163.3KB), June 18, 2013
- Health Education Assistance Loans (HEAL) Online Processing System (HOPS) (PDF, 178KB), May 11, 2016
- Integrated Student Experience (ISE) (PDF, 101.9KB), November 19, 2018
- Missouri Higher Education Loan Authority (NFP-MOHELA) (PDF, 604.6KB), June 8, 2012
- myStudentAid (PDF, 83KB), February 7, 2018
- National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) (PDF, 327.0KB), March 07, 2017
- Not-For-Profit Georgia (NFP Georgia) (PDF, 595.7KB), January 9, 2013
- Oklahoma Student Loan Authority (NFP-OSLA) (PDF, 541.1KB), June 8, 2012
- Pennsylvania Computer System (PHCS) (PDF, 278.9KB), July 20, 2012
- Person Authentication Service (PAS) (PDF, 107.5KB), October 3, 2017
- Postsecondary Educational Participants System (PEPS) (PDF, 83KB), November 8, 2018
- Private Collection Agencies (PCAs) (PDF, 119.6KB), May 3, 2018
- Complete List of Private Collection Agencies (PCAs) (MS Word, 20KB)
- Student Aid Internet Gateway (SAIG) (PDF, 89.6KB), May 1, 2008
- DC Choice Program Evaluation (PDF, 79KB), December 27, 2018
- Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) (PDF, 155.4KB), April 29, 2011
- IES Data Center (IESDC) (PDF, 128.6KB), October 30, 2014
- IES Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Fellows Survey (PDF, 108.6KB), August 5, 2008
- Impact Evaluation of Training in Multi-Tiered Systems of Support for Behavior (MTSS-B) (PDF, 126KB), August 1, 2016; certified as valid January 15, 2019 (PDF, 86KB)
- Impact Evaluation of Departmentalized Instruction in Elementary Schools(PDF), September 12, 2018
- Impact Study of Feedback for Teachers Based on Classroom Videos (PDF, 83KB), October 3, 2017
- National Assessment Governing Board (NAGB), Web Content Management System (WCMS) Nominations Tool (PDF, 109.1KB), May 26, 2015; certified as valid June 26, 2018 (PDF, 49KB)
- National Longitudinal Transition Study 2012 (PDF, 238.2KB), December 19, 2012; certified as valid March 22, 2018 (PDF, 78.KB).
- National Longitudinal Transition Study-2 (NLTS2) (PDF, 94.5KB), November 3, 2009
- Peer Review Information Management Online (PRIMO) (PDF, 95.7KB), November 26, 2018
- Study of Teacher Preparation Experiences and Early Teacher Effectiveness (PDF, 114.3KB), February 9, 2014; certified as valid February 16, 2018 (PDF, 81.4KB).
- Text Ed: Study of Text Messaging to Improve College Enrollment Rates Among Disadvantaged Adults (PDF, 129KB), July 25, 2017
- What Works Clearinghouse Database (PDF, 57.4KB), March 1, 2004
- Education's Central Automated Processing System (EDCAPS) (PDF, 140KB), August 11, 2016
- Department of Education Contests (PDF, 137.8KB), March 27, 2015, certified as valid April 13, 2018 (PDF, 42KB)
- McAfee Data Loss Prevention System (DLP) (PDF, 2.0MB), May 11, 2015
- Non-GFE for Remote Access (PDF, 103.3KB), May 26, 2015; certified as valid January 5, 2018 (PDF, 34.4KB).
- SecurityTouch Learning Management System (STLMS) (PDF, 85.4KB), November 20, 2018
- Social Media Websites and Applications (PDF, KB), May 1, 2011, certified as valid April 13, 2018 (PDF, 102KB)
- ED.gov Blogs (PDF, 102.5KB), March 18, 2015; certified as valid October 16, 2018 (PDF,59KB)
- cVent Event Solutions (PDF, 422.9KB), October 15, 2012; certified as valid June 8, 2018 (PDF,46.0KB)
- National Blue Ribbon Schools Program (BRSP) (PDF, 244KB), December 8, 2015;certified as valid March 21, 2018 (PDF,49.0KB)
- OCO Contact Lists (PDF, 156.7KB), August 9, 2012; certified as valid September 12, 2018 (PDF, 42KB)
- On-Line Application System (OLAS), (PDF, 147KB), February 10, 2017
- On-Line Application System (OLAS) for School Ambassador Fellows Program (SAF), (PDF, 127KB) December 1, 2016
- On-Line Application System (OLAS) for Presidential Scholars Program (PSP), (MS Word, 319KB) November 21, 2016; certified as valid December 19, 2018
- Teacher Appreciation Call-a-thon (PDF, 341KB), April 27, 2017
- Voluntary Student Engagement Form (V-SEF) (PDF, 142KB), September 26, 2018
- Case and Activity Management System (CAMS) (PDF, 129KB), June 26, 2017
- The LINCS Technology Project (PDF, 175KB), December 7, 2016
- Migrant Student Information Exchange (MSIX) (PDF, 307KB), December 6, 2018
- You for Youth Professional Development Web Portal (PDF, 1.23MB), February 28, 2011; certified as valid December 7, 2017. (PDF, 37KB)
- Department of Education Security Tracking and Reporting System (EDSTAR) (PDF, 188KB), March 17, 2016; certified as valid May 7, 2019
- Office of Hearing and Appeals E-Filing System (OES) (PDF, 79.8KB), December 21, 2018
- Department of Education Federal Docket Management System (EDFDMS) (PDF, 182KB), August 22 , 2017
- Office of General Counsel Case & Activity Management System (OGC-CAMS) (PDF, 102.9KB), November 28, 2014
- OIG Case Management System (CMS) (PDF, 102KB), October 25, 2017
- Office of Inspector General Data Analytic System (ODAS) (PDF, 119.3KB), August 26, 2014
- OIG LAN (PDF, 239KB), February 27, 2019
- TeamMate Audit Management System (TeamMate) (PDF, 113.1KB), September 11, 2014
Office of Planning, Evaluation, and Policy Development (OPEPD)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA) (PDF, 102KB), November 12, 2018
- Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN) Performance Report System (PDF, 182KB), March 22, 2016
- International Resource Information System (IRIS) (PDF, 199KB), October 27, 2016
- TRIO Programs Annual Performance Reports (APR) (PDF, 149KB), January 23, 2018
- Constituent Inquiry Log (CIL) and Database (PDF, 173KB), September 24, 2015; certified as valid October 15, 2018.
- FOIAXpress in the Cloud (PDF, 92.1KB), February 23, 2018
- Secretary's Communications Control System (PDF, 162KB), March 21, 2016; certified as valid January 28, 2019 (PDF, 63KB)
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act Analysis, Communication, Dissemination, and Meetings (IDEA ACDM) (PDF, 357KB), June 11, 2012;
certified as valid January 18, 2018 (PDF, 49KB)
- Personnel Development Program Data Collection System (PDPDCS) (PDF, 137.8KB), October 25, 2017
- Rehabilitation Services Administration Management Information System (RSA-MIS) (PDF, 113KB), November 19, 2014;
certified as valid January 12, 2018. (PDF, 113KB)
- RSA Webinar Platform/NCRTM Repository (PDF, 93.8KB), February 21, 2018
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) Competitiveness Scholars (PDF, 143KB), March 13, 2019