The table of Federal TRIO Programs 2016 Low-Income Levels is available.
- Educational Opportunity Centers
- Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement
- Student Support Services
- Talent Search
- Training Program for Federal TRIO Staff
- Upward Bound
- Upward Bound Math/Science
- Veterans Upward Bound
Other Access and Scholarship Programs
- Child Care Access Means Parents in School
- Thurgood Marshall Legal Educational Opportunity
- Erma Byrd Scholarship Program
News and Information
- The FY 2017 Upward Bound (regular) grant application is available as of October 17, 2016. Application deadline: November 28, 2016. Refer to the Federal Register Notice.
- The table of Federal TRIO Programs 2016 Low-Income Levels is available.
- Letter to TRIO and GEAR UP programs' project directors about an ED and HHS collaborative for disconnected youth (MS Word, 76K)
- Grantmaking at ED, a non-technical summary of ED’s discretionary grant process and the laws and regulations that govern it.
- FY 2016 Training Oppportunities for Federal TRIO Programs' Personnel
- TRIO 50th Anniversary Retrospective (an ED YouTube video best viewed in Google Chrome, 7:51 minutes)
- Get information about federal student loan reduction or forgiveness.
About the Student Service
The Student Service performs planning, program development, and grant administration functions for the Federal TRIO programs; the Child Care Access Means Parents in School program; the Thurgood Marshall Legal Educational Opportunity program; Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP); the College Access Challenge Grant Program; the Graduate Fellowships Programs (Title VII, Part A, HEA); and the Erma Byrd Scholarship Program. Dr. Linda Byrd-Johnson is the Senior Director of the Student Service.
The service defines and articulates program goals and objectives; identifies and implements policy changes needed to achieve goals and objectives; evaluates program effectiveness; develops and updates policy manuals, program regulations, and proposed legislative amendments; prepares program budget requests; and prepares an annual funding schedule and funding strategy, incorporating the Secretary's goals and objectives; develops funding criteria and funding priorities for publication in the Federal Register.
The Student Service is responsible for managing the grant awards processes for new applicants and non-competing continuation grantees and for providing overall management and monitoring of ongoing projects, including technical assistance to funded grantees, data gathering and analysis, and grant close-out activities.
U.S. Department of Education
Office of Postsecondary Education
Higher Education Programs, Student Service
Lyndon Baines Johnson Building, 400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
Washington, DC 20202
Questions or Comments? OPE_TRIO@ed.gov
Follow OPE on Twitter