Emergency Assistance to Institutions of Higher Education
Program Office: Institutional Service
CFDA Number: 84.938T
Program Type: Discretionary Grants
Also Known As: EAI
This is a $100 million program that provides emergency assistance to institutions of higher education (IHEs) and their students in areas directly affected by the covered disasters or emergencies, for activities authorized under the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended.
Types of Projects
Funds may be used for any activity authorized under the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended. In making an award, the Department will consider:
- Expenses already incurred by the institution in remediation of the effects of the covered disasters or emergencies;
- Estimated construction or reconstruction costs to repair or replace campus buildings damaged or destroyed due to the covered disasters or emergencies;
- Further need for the project: additional expected expenses, for any purpose authorized under the Higher Education Act, that are not included in #1 or #2 in remediation of the effects of the covered disasters or emergencies;
- Portion of the expenses in lines 1–3 above (dollars, not percent) directly serving students who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless as a result of displacement due to the covered disasters or emergencies; and
- How much of the expenses described in lines 1-3 above (dollars, not percent) that will be or have been reimbursed by insurance (property, business continuity, or other applicable insurance policy or self-insurance arrangement), other Federal agencies, and all public and private donors of any kind other than the institution itself.