Emergency Assistance to Institutions of Higher Education
Who May Apply: (by category) Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs)
Who May Apply: (specifically)
IHEs in areas directly affected by the covered disasters or emergencies, for activities authorized under the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended.
To be eligible to receive a grant under the EAI program, the Department will consider:
- Expenses already incurred by the institution in remediation of the effects of the covered disasters or emergencies;
- Estimated construction or reconstruction costs to repair or replace campus buildings damaged or destroyed due to the covered disasters or emergencies;
- Further need for the project: additional expected expenses, for any purpose authorized under the Higher Education Act, that are not included in #1 or #2 in remediation of the effects of the covered disasters or emergencies;
- Portion of the expenses in lines 1–3 above (dollars, not percent) directly serving students who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless as a result of displacement due to the covered disasters or emergencies; and
- How much of the expenses described in lines 1-3 above (dollars, not percent) that will be or have been reimbursed by insurance (property, business continuity, or other applicable insurance policy or self-insurance arrangement), other Federal agencies, and all public and private donors of any kind other than the institution itself.