The Division of Adult Education and Literacy (DAEL) administers programs that help adults get the basic skills they need including reading, writing, math, English language proficiency, and problem-solving to be productive workers, family members, and citizens.
Our office provides funds to states for adult education and literacy programs. The amount each state receives is based on a formula established by Congress. States, in turn, distribute funds to local eligible providers to develop, implement and improve adult education and literacy activities. Adult education and literacy activities include:
- Adult education;
- Workplace adult education and literacy;
- Family literacy activities;
- English language acquisition activities;
- Integrated English literacy and civics education;
- Workforce preparation activities; and
- Integrated education and training.
Individuals and local providers should check with their state offices for more information on how to obtain funding for adult education and literacy programs. Visit the Department’s grant page for more information about other opportunities.