Resources for Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming Students
Title IX protects all students, including transgender and gender-nonconforming students, from sex discrimination. Title IX encompasses discrimination based on a student’s nonconformity with sex stereotypes and gender identity, including a student’s transgender status. Once a school is notified that a student will begin asserting a gender identity that differs from previous representations or records, the school must begin treating the student consistent with the student’s gender identity. When a school provides sex-segregated activities or facilities, transgender students must be allowed to participate in such activities and access such facilities consistent with their gender identity. Moreover, schools should be aware of their obligation under Title IX and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) to protect the privacy of their students when maintaining education records.
- "Dear Colleague" letter: Transgender Students MS Word (90K) (Feb 22, 2017)
- Examples of Policies and Emerging Practices for Supporting Transgender Students PDF (636.35K) (May 13, 2016)
- Dear Colleague Letter: Title IX Coordinators (Apr. 24, 2015), accompanied by a letter to Title IX coordinators and a Title IX resource guide.
- Dear Colleague Letter from Secretary of Education Arne Duncan on gay-straight alliances (Jun. 14, 2011), including legal guidelines for complying with the Equal Access Act.
- Dear Colleague Letter: Harassment and Bullying (Oct. 26, 2010)
OCR Case Resolutions
- Dorchester County School District (SC) (11-15-1348): Resolution Agreement and Resolution Letter
- Broadalbin-Perth Central School District (NY) (02-13-1220): Resolution Agreement and Resolution Letter
- Township High School District 211 (IL) (05-14-1055): Resolution Agreement and Resolution Letter
- Central Piedmont Community College (NC) (11-14-2265): Resolution Agreement and Resolution Letter
- Jonesboro School District #43 (IL) (05-15-1033): Resolution Agreement and Resolution Letter
- Downey Unified School District (CA) (09-12-1095): Resolution Agreement and Resolution Letter
- Arcadia Unified School District (CA) (09-12-1020): Resolution Agreement and Resolution Letter
- Anoka-Hennepin School District (MN) (05-11-5901): Consent Decree and Resolution Letter
- Tehachapi Unified School District (CA) (09-11-1031): Resolution Agreement and Resolution Letter
Court Filings—Statements of Interest and Amicus Curiae Briefs
- Brief for the United States as Amicus Curiae Supporting Plaintiff-Appellant and Urging Reversal, G.G. v. Gloucester County School Board, No. 15-2056 (4th Cir. Oct. 28, 2015).
- Statement of Interest of the United States, G.G. v. Gloucester County School Board, No. 4:15cv54 (E.D. Va., June 29, 2015).
- Statement of Interest of the United States, Tooley v. Van Buren Public Schools, No. 2:14-cv-13466 (E.D. Mich. Feb. 24, 2015).
- Brief for the United States as Amicus Curiae Supporting Plaintiffs-Appellants and Urging Reversal, Carmichael v. Galbraith, No. 12-11074 (5th Cir. April 1, 2013).
- United States Memorandum as Amicus Curiae in Response to Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss/Summary Judgment, Pratt v. Indian River Central School District, No. 7:09-cv-00411 (N.D.N.Y. Aug. 13, 2010).
- Memorandum of Law in Support of the United States’ Motion to Intervene, J.L. v. Mohawk Central School District, No. 6:09 Cv. 943 (N.D.N.Y. Jan. 14, 2010).
Federal Government Resources
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration LGBT resources
- Resources from the Department of Health and Human Services
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Enforcement Protections for LGBT Workers
- Resources for Community-Wide Prevention of LGBTQ Youth Homelessness from the Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Guidance from the Department of Labor’s Job Corps Program on ensuring equal access for transgender applicants and students