New Click here for the FY 2023 New Project Directors Meeting Power Point presentation.
Program Office: Federal TRIO Programs
CFDA Number: 84.047V
Program Type: Discretionary/Competitive Grants
Also Known As: TRIO (Upward Bound is one of eight TRIO programs.)
Veterans Upward Bound is designed to motivate and assist veterans in the development of academic and other requisite skills necessary for acceptance and success in a program of postsecondary education. The program provides assessment and enhancement of basic skills through counseling, mentoring, tutoring and academic instruction in the core subject areas. The primary goal of the program is to increase the rate at which participants enroll in and complete postsecondary education programs.
All Veterans Upward Bound projects must provide instruction in mathematics through pre-calculus, laboratory science, foreign language, composition and literature. Projects may also provide short-term remedial or refresher courses for veterans who are high school graduates but have delayed pursuing postsecondary education. Projects are also expected to assist veterans in securing support services from other locally available resources such as the Veterans Administration, state veterans agencies, veteran associations, and other state and local agencies that serve veterans.
Other services include:
- Education or counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy of participants
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school
- Academic, financial, or personal counseling
- Tutorial services
- Mentoring programs
- Information on postsecondary education opportunities
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Information on the full range of Federal Student financial aid programs and benefits
- Guidance and assistance in alternative education programs for secondary school dropouts that lead to receipt of a regular secondary school diploma, entry into general education development (GED) programs or postsecondary education