Arts in Education—Professional Development for Arts Educators
CFDA Number: 84.351C
Program Type: Discretionary/Competitive Grants
Also known as: Arts in Education-Professional Development
This program supports the implementation of high-quality model professional development programs in elementary and secondary education for music, dance, drama, media arts, or visual arts, including folk arts, for educators and other arts instructional staff of kindergarten through grade 12 (K-12) students in high-poverty schools.
Types of Projects
This program supports professional development programs for K-12 arts educators and other instructional staff that use innovative instructional methods and current knowledge from education research and focus on--(1) The development, enhancement, or expansion of standards-based arts education programs; or (2) The integration of standards-based arts instruction with other core academic area content.
Funds may be used to:
- Provide research on arts education.
- Plan, develop, acquire, expand, improve, or disseminate information about model school-based arts education programs.
- Develop model State arts education assessments based on State academic achievement standards.
- Develop and implement curriculum frameworks for arts education.
- Develop model inservice professional development programs for arts educators and other instructional staff.
- Support collaborative activities with Federal agencies or institutions involved in arts education, arts educators, and organizations representing the arts, including State and local arts agencies involved in arts education.
- Support model projects and programs in the performing arts for children and youth through arrangements made with the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
- Support model projects and programs by Very Special Arts which assure the participation in mainstream settings in arts and education programs of individuals with disabilities.
- Support model projects and programs to integrate arts education into the regular elementary school and secondary school curriculum.