News and Resources
|You are here: OESE Home > Programs/Initiatives > OSHS|
- Press Release:
U.S. Department of Education Invests More Than $70 Million to Improve School Climate and Keep Students Safe (September 23, 2014)
To help keep students safe and improve their learning environments, the U.S. Department of Education awarded more than $70 million to 130 grantees in 38 states. The Department made the awards under four new grant programs that were among the common-sense proposals included in President Obama and Vice President Biden’s "Now Is The Time,” a comprehensive plan to make our schools safer, reduce gun violence by keeping guns out of dangerous hands, and increase mental-health services. The new competitive grant programs are:
- School Climate Transformation grants to school districts—$35,818,097
- School Climate Transformation grants to states—$7,339,654
- Project Prevent grants to school districts—$14,167,876
- School Emergency Management grants to states—$13,082,991
Human Trafficking 101 for School Administrators and Staff (July 28, 2014)
Teen Dating Violence - A Fact Sheet for Schools (August 26, 2013)
Growing up Drug-Free: A Parent’s Guide to Prevention (2012)
This 55-page booklet includes:
- How This Book Will Help You?
- What Substances Do Kids Use?
- Why Do Kids Use Drugs?
- How Do I Teach My Child About Drugs?
- What If I Think My Child is Using Drugs?
Parents and caregivers will find this publication a user-friendly and valuable guide for what to do and how to communicate about the harmful effects of illicit drugs and alcohol to children from elementary through high school. This publication can also be ordered through EdPubs.
- How This Book Will Help You?
Partnerships in Character Education State Pilot Projects, l995-2001 Lessons Learned
Character includes the emotional, intellectual and moral qualities of a person or group as well as the demonstration of these qualities in prosocial behavior. Character education is an inclusive term encompassing all aspects of how schools, related social institutions and parents can support the positive character development of children and adults. Character education teaches the habits of thought and deed that help people live and work together as families, friends, neighbors, communities and nations.
Enhancing Achievement and Proficiency through Safe and Drug-Free Schools is a report by the Office of Safe and Drug Free Schools. This is a report by the Office of Safe and Healthy Students (formerly OSDFS) Advisory Committee (June 2007). See the press release and report MS Word (156K).
The Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention OJJDP News @ a Glance. This is an on-line bi-monthly newsletter that provides readers with an overview of news from OJJDP including events, publications, and funding opportunities.
Practical Information on Crisis Planning: A Guide for Schools and Communities. The guide will give schools, districts and communities the critical concepts and components of good crisis planning, stimulate thinking about the crisis preparedness process, and provide examples of promising practices. PDF (1.6M)
Readiness and Emergency Management Publications
ED's OSHS and the REMS Technical Assistance Center have developed a variety of publications to assist local educational agencies (LEAs) and institutions of higher education (IHEs) with their emergency management efforts. The publications support an all-hazards approach to collaborative emergency management planning that is guided by the four phases (prevention - mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery). These publications may be accessed at http://rems.ed.gov/display.aspx?page=publications_General.
Bystander Report This report was developed by the United States Secret Service and United State Department of Education. The report provides knowledge of potential school-based violence and information for studentsthat may prevent a targeted attack.
ED'S SAFE AND SUPPORTIVE SCHOOLS NEWS BULLETIN
If you are interested in receiving prevention education information and opportunities, you are now able to self-enroll to receive ED's SAFE AND SUPPORTIVE SCHOOLS NEWS BULLETIN. The purpose of this listserv is to provide a timely information outlet for the Office of Elementary and Secondary Education's Office of Safe and Healthy Students Program. The LISTSERV content may include information on prevention education issues, legislation, and Federal grant opportunities. Click on the link to self-enroll for the OSHS PreventED listserv.
- The Emergency Planning website provides school leaders with information to plan for any emergency, including natural disasters, violent incidents and terrorist acts.
Drug Abuse Prevention
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
NIDA provides a step-by-step how-to kit, including a list of fun activities, instructions on how to receive our NEW drug facts booklet to distribute at events, assistance in finding a scientific expert in your community, an online interactive quiz, and much more! But we need you to make it happen. Encourage teens to organize an event during NDFW and support them by being an adult advisor and registering an event with NIDA.
For more information or questions, please contact us at email@example.com
- Join Together Online (Substance Abuse & Gun Violence)
- National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University
- National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
- National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Office of National Drug Control Policy
- Parents Resource Institute for Drug Education
- Partnership for a Drug-Free America
- PTA: Common Sense
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- National Youth Gang Center
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
- US Department of Justice/Justice Information Center
Grant Resource Collections
Other Internet Resources
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Medical Association
- American Public Health Association
- The American School Health Association
- CDC Adolescent and School Health Information
- CDC's Office on Smoking and Health
- Center for the Future of Children
- Child Welfare League of America
- National Association of State Boards of Education
- National Center for Children in Poverty
- National Center for Health Statistics
- National Education Association
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
- National Organization for Victim Assistance
- The National PTA
- National School Boards Association
- Office of Justice Program - Internet Safety
- National Crime Prevention Council - Public Service Announcements
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service
- The Nemours Foundation
- US Department of Education Regional Educational Laboratories
- US Department of Health and Human Services
- Social Programs that Work