Laws & Guidance
Legislation, regulations, guidance, and other policy documents can be found here for the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), and other topics.
Please note that in the U.S., the federal role in education is limited. Because of the Tenth Amendment, most education policy is decided at the state and local levels. So, if you have a question about a policy or issue, you may want to check with the relevant organization in your state or school district.
Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA), as amended
- Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Information page
- ESEA Flexibility: Information about flexibility from certain No Child Left Behind requirements that ED is offering to states.
- Text of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended by ESSA and the National Defense Authorization Act, 2017:
Introductory materials Title I Title II Title III Title IV Title V Title VI Title VII Title VIII
- Text of No Child Left Behind Act: For certain ESEA programs, the requirements of NCLB apply through the 2016-2017 school year.
- Guidance and Regulations
IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act)
WIOA (Workforce Innovation and Opportunities Act)
Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended through P.L. 114–95
- Text of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (PDF, 505KB)