This Web page provides students, families and institutions with information about the Financial Aid Shopping Sheet. The Shopping Sheet was previously referred to as the Model Financial Aid Offer Form and Know Before You Owe.
The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet (PDF) is a consumer tool that participating institutions use to notify students about their financial aid package. It is a standardized form that is designed to simplify the information that prospective students receive about costs and financial aid so that they can easily compare institutions and make informed decisions about where to attend school. The Shopping Sheet became available for use beginning in the 2013-2014 award year.
In July 2012, the Department unveiled the 2013-2014 version of the Shopping Sheet. At the same time, the Education Secretary published an open letter to college and university presidents asking institutions to adopt the Shopping Sheet for use during the 2013-2014 school year. On December 13, 2013, the Department released the 2014-2015 edition of the Shopping Sheet. As of April 2015, over 2,900 institutions have voluntarily adopted the Shopping Sheet, representing institutions nationwide from all sectors of higher education.
Institutions may contact ShoppingSheet@ed.gov to indicate their commitment to use the Shopping Sheet. Students, parents, and institutions may also direct questions about the Shopping Sheet to that e-mail address.
Institutions that have adopted the Shopping Sheet, updated January 11, 2017 (MS Excel, 377K)
Shopping Sheet Documents 2017-2018
- Shopping Sheet Template 2017-2018 (PDF)
- Annotated Shopping Sheet 2017-2018 (PDF): This describes and clarifies the elements on the Shopping Sheet.
- Financial Aid Shopping Sheet FAQs 2017-2018 (PDF)
- Financial Aid Shopping Sheet Technical Guide 2017-2018 (PDF)
- Updates to HTML specifications and the Institutional Metric Data file for the 2017-2018 Financial Aid Shopping Sheet (updated 1/13/2017)
Shopping Sheet Documents 2016-2017
- Shopping Sheet Template 2016-2017 (PDF)
- Updates to HTML specifications and the Institutional Metric Data file for the 2016-2017 Financial Aid Shopping Sheet
- Annotated Shopping Sheet 2016-2017 (PDF): This describes and clarifies the elements on the Shopping Sheet.
- Financial Aid Shopping Sheet FAQs 2016-2017