Who May Apply: (by category) Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs)
Who May Apply: (specifically) Faculty members must apply through their employing institutions.
A faculty member is eligible to receive a fellowship if he or she:
- Is a citizen or national of the United States or is a permanent resident of the United States.
- Is employed by an institution of higher education.
- Has been engaged in teaching relevant to his or her foreign language or area studies specialization for the two years immediately preceding the date of the award.
- Proposes research relevant to his or her modern foreign language or area studies specialization,which is not dissertation research for a doctoral degree.
- Possesses sufficient foreign language skills to carry out the research project.
Expenses Covered by the Award:
- Travel expenses to and from the residence of the fellow and the country or countries of research.
- Maintenance stipend for the fellow related to his or her academic year salary.
- An allowance for research-related expenses overseas, such as books, copying, tuition and affiliation fees, local travel and other incidental expenses.
Duration: 3 - 12 months
A fellow shall:
- Maintain satisfactory progress in the conduct of his or her research.
- Devote full time to research on the approved topic.
- Not engage in unauthorized income-producing activities during the period of the fellowship.
- Remain employed by the grantee institution during the period of the fellowship.