U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools
Summer: States are encouraged to indicate their intent to nominate schools.
July: ED publishes annual criteria.
September: States launch selection processes.
February 15: States submit nominees.
April 22: ED announces honorees.
June 3: ED hosts national recognition award ceremony.
(all dates tentative)
Only state education agencies can nominate schools.
Schools that wish to be nominated should contact their state education agency for state application deadlines and further information.
- Who To Contact in Your State to Apply: [MS Word, 85K]
- Green Ribbon Schools Overview [PowerPoint, 1.67M]
- Fact Sheet [PDF, 119K]
For State Education Authorities
- State Implementation at a Glance [MS Word, 45K]
- Step by Step Guide for State Education Agencies [MS Word, 86K]
- Criteria for U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools [MS Word, 70K]
- Instructions for Use of Framework for Evaluation of Schools [MS Word, 43K]
- Framework for Evaluation of Schools [MS Excel, 98K]
- Civil Rights, Health, Environment and Safety Statutory and Regulatory Requirements [MS Word, 62K]
- Nominee Presentation Form [PDF, 172K]
- Sample Application [MS Word, 110K]
U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools is a federal recognition award and should not be confused with any green schools program conducted by non-governmental entities.