Troops-to-Teachers Program

Current Section  Eligibility
 Office of Innovation and Improvement Home
Archived Information

Who May Apply: (specifically) Former members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including members of the Armed Forces Reserves may apply. Applicants must apply to the Defense Activities for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) for assistance. Applicants aspiring to be an elementary or secondary school teacher must have a baccalaureate or advanced degree and:

  • Have retired from active duty;
  • Will retire within one year of application;
  • Have been transferred to the ready reserve;
  • Have been released from active duty after six or more years of active duty immediately before separation;
  • Have completed at least 10 years of active duty;
  • Have executed a reserve commitment agreement for not less than three years;
  • Have been retired or separated due to physical disability;
  • Have been involuntarily discharged or released from active duty due to a reduction in force between Oct. 1, 1990 and Sept. 30, 1999; or
  • Have applied and qualified under the previous Troops-to-Teachers program statute (10 U.S.C. 1151).

Print this page Printable view Bookmark  and Share
Last Modified: 02/07/2013