New The 2022-2023 Upward Bound/Upward Bound Math-Science is available November 29, 2023.
New Click here for the FY 2023 New Project Directors Meeting Power Point presentation.
Program Office: Federal TRIO Programs
CFDA Number: 84.047M
Program Type: Discretionary/Competitive Grants
Also Known As: Upward Bound, TRIO (This is one of eight TRIO programs)
The Upward Bound Math and Science program is designed to strengthen the math and science skills of participating students. The goal of the program is to help students recognize and develop their potential to excel in math and science and to encourage them to pursue postsecondary degrees in math and science, and ultimately careers in the math and science profession.
Types of Projects
Program services include: summer programs with intensive math and science training; year-round counseling and advisement; exposure to university faculty members who do research in mathematics and the sciences; computer training; and participant-conducted scientific research under the guidance of faculty members or graduate students, who are serving as mentors; education or counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy of students; and programs and activities previously mentioned that are specially designed for students who are limited English proficient, students from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in postsecondary education, students with disabilities, students who are homeless children and youths, students who are in foster care or are aging out of foster care system or other disconnected students.
Services provided by the program include:
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school
- Academic, financial, or personal counseling
- Tutorial services
- Mentoring programs
- Information on postsecondary education opportunities
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Information on the full range of Federal Student Financial Aid programs and benefits
- Guidance and assistance on secondary school reentry or alternative education programs; entry into general educational development programs or postsecondary education