Transition to Teaching
Who May Apply: (by category) Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs), Local Education Agencies (LEAs), Nonprofit Organizations, State Education Agencies (SEAs)
Who May Apply: (specifically)
Individuals are not eligible to apply for Transition to Teaching grants. If you are interested in pursuing an alternate route to certification in order to teach see www.teach-now.org or view the program abstracts under Awards.
Eligible applicants for Transition to Teaching grants include:
- High-need LEAs
- for-profit or nonprofit organizations
- regional consortia of SEAs
- consortia of high-need LEAs
Note: A "high-need" local educational agency is defined as an LEA that:
- (a) serves not fewer than 10,000 children from families with incomes below the poverty line, OR (b) for which not less than 20 percent of the children served by the LEA are from families with incomes below the poverty line;
AND for which there is:
- (a) a high percentage of teachers not teaching in the academic subjects or grade levels the teachers were trained to teach, OR (b) a high percentage of teachers with emergency, provisional, or temporary certification or licensing. (See ESEA section 2102(3)).