School Ambassador Fellowship
The application for the 2017-2018 Fellowship Program is now closed. Please continue to visit the website for updates.
It has become common understanding in recent years that for education reforms to succeed, practitioners must be involved in their planning and implementation. The U.S. Department of Education created the School Ambassador Fellowship program as one means of recognizing the critical impact educators have on student outcomes and school success. Teachers, principals and other school staff members understand better than anyone the rewards of public education, as well as the need for some dramatic improvements.
School staff members provide vital leadership in classrooms and schools, but too often lack opportunities to contribute their knowledge to the development of education policy on a broader scale. The U.S. Department of Education designed the School Ambassador Fellowship program to enable outstanding teachers, principals and other school leaders, like school counselors, to bring their school and classroom expertise to the Department and to expand their knowledge of the national dialogue about education. In turn, School Ambassador Fellows facilitate the learning and input of other educators and community members.
Mission: The School Ambassador Fellowship is designed to improve education for students by involving educators in the development and implementation of national education policy. The Fellowship seeks to:
- Create a community of teachers, principals, and other school staff members who share expertise and collaborate with leaders in the Federal government on national education issues.
- Involve educators who work daily with students and teachers in developing policies that affect classrooms and school building.
- Highlight practitioners' voices and expand educators' critical leadership at the national, state, and local levels.
Throughout their Fellowship year, School Ambassador Fellows collaborate as a team and with Alumni Fellows to:
- Learn about federal education policy and ED
- Reach out to teachers and schools in the field
- Reflect with ED staff on the knowledge gained
For more information on how the Fellowship works, please see our Program Overview.