Skip Program Navigation
Fulbright-Hays Faculty Research Abroad (FRA) Program

Current Section  Eligibility
 Office of Postsecondary Education Home

Who May Apply: (by category) Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs)

Who May Apply: (specifically) Faculty members must apply through their employing institutions.

A faculty member is eligible to receive a fellowship if he or she:

  • Is a citizen or national of the United States or is a permanent resident of the United States.
  • Is employed by an institution of higher education.
  • Has been engaged in teaching relevant to his or her foreign language or area studies specialization for the two years immediately preceding the date of the award.
  • Proposes research relevant to his or her modern foreign language or area studies specialization,which is not dissertation research for a doctoral degree.
  • Possesses sufficient foreign language skills to carry out the research project.

Expenses Covered by the Award:

  • Travel expenses to and from the residence of the fellow and the country or countries of research.
  • Maintenance stipend for the fellow related to his or her academic year salary.
  • An allowance for research-related expenses overseas, such as books, copying, tuition and affiliation fees, local travel and other incidental expenses.

Duration: 3 - 12 months

A fellow shall:

  • Maintain satisfactory progress in the conduct of his or her research.
  • Devote full time to research on the approved topic.
  • Not engage in unauthorized income-producing activities during the period of the fellowship.
  • Remain employed by the grantee institution during the period of the fellowship.



Last Modified: 03/07/2022