Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships Program

Current Section
 Office of Postsecondary Education Home

Eligible Applicants: Institutions of higher education and consortia of institutions of higher education submit applications to the U.S. Department of Education to request FLAS grants (allocations of fellowships).

Fellowship Recipients: Eligible undergraduate students and graduate students apply directly to an institution that has received an allocation of fellowships from the U.S. Department of Education.

A student is eligible to receive a fellowship if the student:

  • Is a citizen or national of the United States; or
  • Is a permanent resident of the United States;
  • Is accepted for enrollment or is enrolled in an institution receiving an allocation of fellowships; and
  • In a program that combines modern foreign language training with area or international studies; or
  • Research and training in the international aspects of professional and other fields of study;
  • Shows potential for high academic achievement based on such indices as grade point average, class ranking, or similar measures that the institution may determine;
  • Is enrolled in a program of modern foreign language training in a language for which the institution has developed or is developing performance-based instruction;
  • In the case of an undergraduate student, is in the intermediate or advanced study of a less commonly taught language; or
  • In the case of a graduate student is engaged in pre-dissertation study, preparation for dissertation research, dissertation research abroad, or dissertation writing.

NOTE: Students do not apply to the U.S. Department of Education. Students must apply directly to grantee institutions.

Fellowship Duration: An institution may award a fellowship to a student for one academic year or one summer session if the summer session provides the fellow with the equivalent of one academic year of modern foreign language study.

Use of Funds for Overseas Fellowships

Before awarding a fellowship for use outside the United States, an institution shall obtain approval from the U.S. Department of Education. A fellowship may be approved for use outside the United States if the student is:

  • Enrolled in an overseas foreign language program approved by the institution at which the student is enrolled in the United States for study at an intermediate or advanced level or at the beginning level if appropriate equivalent instruction is not available in the United States; or
  • Engaged during the academic year in research that cannot be done effectively in the United States and is affiliated with an institution of higher education or other appropriate organization in the host country.


Print this page Printable view Bookmark  and Share
Last Modified: 01/14/2011