Program Office: International and Foreign Language Education
CFDA Number: 84.153A
Program Type: Discretionary/Competitive Grants
The BIE program provides grants to institutions of higher education, that enter into an agreement with a trade association to improve the academic teaching of the business curriculum and to conduct outreach activities that will assist the local business community to compete in the global arena.
Types of Projects
Each program assisted with federal funds must enhance primarily the international academic program of the institution. Eligible activities may include but are not limited to:
- Innovation and improvement of international education curricula to serve the needs of the business community, including the development of new programs for nontraditional, mid-career, or part-time students;
- Development of programs to inform the public of increasing international economic interdependence and the role of American business within the international economic system;
- Internationalization of curricula at junior and community colleges, and at undergraduate and graduate schools of business;
- Development of area studies programs and interdisciplinary international programs;
- Establishment of export education programs through cooperative arrangements with regional and world trade centers and councils, and with bilateral and multilateral trade associations;
- The establishment of internships overseas to enable foreign language students to develop their foreign language skills and their knowledge of foreign cultures and societies;
- Summer institutes in international business, foreign area, and other international studies designed to carry out the purposes of this program.