To get a Pell grant, you must complete the...
Quick information on Pell grants:
- A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid.
- The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $6,895 for the 2022–23 award year (July 1, 2022, to June 30, 2023).
- The amount depends on your financial need, costs to attend school, status as a full-time or part-time student, and plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.
- Learn more about Pell grants.
- To apply, complete the FAFSA.
CFDA Number: 84.063
Also Known As: Pell Grants; formerly called Basic Educational Opportunity Grants (BEOGs)
Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need and have not earned a bachelor's, graduate, or professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a postbaccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Federal Pell Grant.) You are not eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant if you are incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution or are subject to an involuntary civil commitment upon completion of a period of incarceration for a forcible or nonforcible sexual offense.