CFDA Number: 84.083
Program Type: Discretionary/Competitive Grants, Contracts
Also Known As: WEEA Program
This program promotes education equity for women and girls through competitive grants. The program designates most of its funding for local implementation of gender-equity policies and practices. Projects may be funded for up to four years.
TYPES OF PROJECTS
Examples of allowable activities include:
- Training for teachers and other school personnel to encourage gender equity in the classroom;
- Evaluating exemplary model programs to advance gender equity;
- School-to-work transition programs;
- Guidance and counseling activities to increase opportunities for women in technologically demanding workplaces; and,
- Developing strategies to assist LEAs in evaluating, disseminating, and replicating gender-equity programs.
The FY 2009 competition included three absolute priorities (i.e., mandatory for consideration) for projects to support activities enabling students to achieve proficiency or advanced proficiency in mathematics, science, or both, and projects that collect pre- and post-test data to assess the project’s impact.
The program also provides financial assistance to enable educational agencies to meet the requirements of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.