Safe Schools-Healthy Students Initiative
CFDA Number: 84.184L
Program Type: Discretionary/Competitive Grants
Grants support LEAs in the development of communitywide approaches to creating safe and drug-free schools and promoting healthy childhood development. Programs are intended to prevent violence and the illegal use of drugs and to promote safety and discipline. Coordination with other community-based organizations (CBOs) is required. This program is jointly funded and administered by the departments of Education, Justice, and Health and Human Services. The appropriation amounts listed above do not include funds appropriated for the departments of Justice and Health and Human Services.
TYPES OF PROJECTS
To be funded, local comprehensive strategies must address the following five elements but may address other elements as well, as determined by the needs of the community:
- Element One—Safe School Environments and Violence Prevention Activities;
- Element Two—Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug Prevention Activities;
- Element Three—Student Behavioral, Social, and Emotional Supports;
- Element Four—Mental Health Services; and
- Element Five—Early Childhood Social and Emotional Learning Programs.