TITLE VIII--STUDIES, REPORTS, AND RELATED PROGRAMS
PART C--COMMUNITY SCHOLARSHIP MOBILIZATION
SEC. 813. DEFINITIONS
In this part:
(1) REGIONAL, STATE, OR COMMUNITY PROGRAM CENTER- The term `regional, State, or community program center' means an organization that--
(A) is a division or member of, responsible to, and overseen by, a national organization; and
(B) is staffed by professionals trained to create, develop, and sustain local entities in towns, cities, and neighborhoods.
(2) LOCAL ENTITY- The term `local entity' means an organization that--
(A) is a nonprofit organization that is described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, and exempt from taxation under section 501(a) of such Code (or shall meet this criteria through affiliation with the national organization);
(B) is formed for the purpose of providing educational scholarships and academic support for residents of the local community served by such organization;
(C) solicits broad-based community support in its academic support and fund-raising activities;
(D) is broadly representative of the local community in the structures of its volunteer-operated organization and has a board of directors that includes leaders from local neighborhood organizations and neighborhood residents, such as school or college personnel, parents, students, community agency representatives, retirees, and representatives of the business community;
(E) awards scholarships without regard to age, sex, marital status, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, or disability; and
(F) gives priority to awarding scholarships for postsecondary education to deserving students from low-income families in the local community.
(3) NATIONAL ORGANIZATION- The term `national organization' means an organization that--
(A) has the capacity to create, develop and sustain local entities and affiliated regional, State, or community program centers;
(B) has the capacity to sustain newly created local entities in towns, cities, and neighborhoods through ongoing training support programs;
(C) is described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, and exempt from taxation under section 501(a) of such Code;
(D) is a publicly supported organization within the meaning of section 170(b)(1)(A)(iv) of such Code;
(E) ensures that each of the organization's local entities meet the criteria described in subparagraphs (C) and (D); and
(F) has a program for or experience in cooperating with secondary and postsecondary institutions in carrying out the organization's scholarship and academic support activities.
(4) HIGH POVERTY AREA- The term `high poverty area' means a community with a higher percentage of children from low-income families than the national average of such percentage and a lower percentage of children pursuing postsecondary education than the national average of such percentage.
(5) SECRETARY- The term `Secretary' means the Secretary of Education.
(6) STUDENTS FROM LOW-INCOME FAMILIES- The term `students from low-income families' means students determined, pursuant to part F of title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1087kk et seq.), to be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant under subpart 1 of part A of title IV of such Act (20 U.S.C. 1070a).
|Previous||Table of Contents||Next|