TITLE VIII--STUDIES, REPORTS, AND RELATED PROGRAMS
PART A -- STUDIES
SEC. 803. STUDENT-RELATED DEBT STUDY REQUIRED
(a) IN GENERAL- The Secretary of Education shall conduct a study that analyzes the distribution and increase in student-related debt in terms of--
(1) demographic characteristics, such as race or ethnicity, and family income;
(2) type of institution and whether the institution is a public or private institution;
(3) loan source, such as Federal, State, institutional or other, and, if the loan source is Federal, whether the loan is or is not subsidized;
(4) academic field of study;
(5) parent loans, and whether the parent loans are federally guaranteed, private, or property-secured such as home equity loans; and
(6) relation of student debt or anticipated debt to--
(A) students' decisions about whether and where to enroll in college and whether or how much to borrow in order to attend college;
(B) the length of time it takes students to earn baccalaureate degrees;
(C) students' decisions about whether and where to attend graduate school;
(D) graduates' employment decisions;
(E) graduates' burden of repayment as reflected by the graduates' ability to save for retirement or invest in a home; and
(F) students' future earnings.
(b) REPORT- After conclusion of the study required by subsection (a), the Secretary of Education shall submit a final report regarding the findings of the study to the Committee on Labor and Human Resources of the Senate and the Committee on Education and the Workforce of the House of Representatives not later than 18 months after the date of enactment of the Higher Education Amendments of 1998.
(c) INFORMATION- After the study and report under this section are concluded, the Secretary of Education shall determine which information described in subsection (a) would be useful for families to know and shall include such information as part of the comparative information provided to families about the costs of higher education under the provisions of part C of title I.
|Previous||Table of Contents||Next|