ESEA section 1501 authorizes the U.S. Secretary of Education to enter into local flexibility demonstration agreements with local educational agencies (LEAs) under which such agencies may consolidate eligible Federal education funds with State and local funds in accordance with certain requirements in order to develop a student-centered funding system based on weighted per-pupil allocations for low-income and otherwise disadvantaged students. Under a local flexibility demonstration agreement, an LEA may use the Federal funds allocated through its system flexibly, provided it meets the purposes of each Federal education program supported by the consolidated Federal funds, including serving students from low-income families, English learners, migratory children, and children who are neglected, delinquent, or at risk, as applicable.
For an LEA that enters into a local flexibility demonstration agreement, the Secretary is authorized to waive those provisions of the ESEA that would otherwise prevent the LEA from using eligible Federal funds as part of such an agreement. Relieving an LEA from certain ESEA requirements in this manner would enable the LEA to use the Federal funds allocated through its student-centered funding system flexibly, provided it meets the purposes of each Federal education program supported by the consolidated Federal funds, including serving students from low-income families, English learners, migratory children, and children who are neglected, delinquent, or at risk, as applicable.
- Secretary DeVos' New Student-Centered Funding Pilot Program Announcement
- Application for Student Centered Funding Pilot [WORD,1 MB] (updated May 16, 2018)
- Submissions from LEAs
- Reminder: The first application deadline was March 12, 2018, for those LEAs planning to implement in school year 2018-2019, and that submission window has closed. For those LEAs expecting to implement in school year 2019-2020, applications are due July 15, 2018. Applicants should send completed applications to WeightedFundingPilot@ed.gov .
- The Department will host a series of two webinars for school districts interested in submitting an application to the student-centered funding system pilot program authorized by ESSA. The first webinars - on Wednesday, May 30 from 2-3:30 pm and Thursday May, 31 from 12:30 – 2 pm ET - focus on describing how student-centered funding systems function and how to complete the application. The second webinars - on Wednesday, June 20 from 2-3:30 pm and Thursday, June 21 from 12-1:30 pm ET - will detail the requirements of the pilot, provide time for Q&A, and address lessons learned during the spring 2018 submission cycle. The webinars will be recorded, and the recordings -- as well as the slides -- will be posted on this page after they are held.
- February 2018 Student-centered Funding Webinar [PDF,505 KB]
- Recording of February 21, 2018, webinar
- Recording of February 22, 2018, webinar
- Frequently Asked Questions (updated May 16, 2018)