Agenda for the Eighth
Innovations in Education Exchange
"Choosing a School for Your Child"
Tuesday, April 12th
10:00 a.m. - Noon
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Ave., SW
At its heart, public school choice is about giving parents a say in their child's education. Under No Child Left Behind, districts are required to allow parents to move their child from a Title I school "in need of improvement" to another school. For choice to be effective, parents need information about the schools that are available to them. We hope you can join us for a discussion about the issue from the parents' point of view and the unveiling of a new publication, "Choosing a School for Your Child."
- Nina S. Rees, Assistant Deputy Secretary for Innovation and Improvement
- Virginia Walden Ford, Executive Director, DC Parents for School Choice
Parent Panel: "The Impact School Choice Has Had on My Family"
- Pilar Gomez, Parent from Milwaukee, WI
- Joe Kelly, Guardian from Washington, DC
- Roberta Kitchen, Parent from Cleveland, OH
- Alicia Hall-Vicks, Parent from Washington, DC
To register please e-mail us at OII.RSVP@ed.gov with your name, title, organization name, organization address, phone, and fax number by April 5, 2005.
Please contact Courtney Philips at (202)205-4499 for additional information.
Please Note: All visitors must produce some official form of identification to enter the U.S. Department of Education.