A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
SEC. 220. ASSESSMENT DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION GRANTS.
- (a) GRANTS AUTHORIZED.--
- (1) IN GENERAL.--The Secretary is authorized to make grants to State and local educational agencies or consortia of such agencies to help defray the cost of developing, field testing, and evaluating State assessments to be used for some or all of the purposes indicated in section 213(f)(1)(B), that are aligned to State content standards certified by the Council.
- (2) RESERVATION.--The Secretary shall reserve a portion of the funds authorized under section 241(d) for grants to State educational agencies and local educational agencies for purposes of developing such assessments in languages other than English and for students with disabilities.
- (b) APPLICATIONS.--Each State or local educational agency, or consortium, that desires to receive a grant under subsection (a)(1) shall submit an application to the Secretary at such time, in such manner, and containing such information and assurances as the Secretary may require.
- (c) REQUIREMENTS.--
- (1) IN GENERAL.--A recipient of a grant under this section shall--
- (A) examine the validity and reliability of the State assessment for the particular purposes for which such assessment was developed;
- (B) ensure that the State assessment is consistent with relevant, nationally recognized professional and technical standards for assessments; and
- (C) devote special attention to how a State assessment treats all students, especially with regard to the race, gender, ethnicity, disability, and language proficiency of such students.
- (2) USE.--A State assessment developed and evaluated with funds under this section may not be used for decisions about individual students relating to program placement, promotion, or retention, graduation, or employment for a period of 5 years from the date of enactment of this Act.
SEC. 219. OPPORTUNITY-TO-LEARN DEVELOPMENT GRANT.
SEC. 221. EVALUATION.