[Federal Register: July 28, 2000 (Volume 65, Number 146)]
[Page 46442-46443]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]



[CFDA No. 84.033]

Student Financial Assistance, Federal Work-Study Programs; Notice 
of the Closing Date for Submission of the Campus-Based Reallocation 
Form (ED Form E40-4P)

SUMMARY: The Secretary gives notice that institutions of higher 
education participating in the Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program must 
submit the Campus-Based Reallocation Form by August 25, 2000 to request 
supplemental FWS funds for the 2000-2001 award year (July 1, 2000 
through June 30, 2001). The information collected is used to determine 
whether an institution is eligible to receive supplemental FWS funds 
for the 2000-2001 award year.

DATES: Closing Date and Method for Submitting a Campus-Based 
Reallocation Form. If you participated in the FWS Program for the 1999-
2000 award year and want to ensure that you will be considered for 
supplemental FWS funds for the 2000-2001 award year, you must submit 
the electronic Campus-Based Reallocation Form by August 25, 2000.
    The new Fiscal Operations Report for 1999-2000 and Application to 
Participate for 2001-2002 (FISAP) software that you received in July 
2000 also contains the Campus-Based Reallocation Form (E-40-4P). The 
Campus-Based Reallocation Form electronic data must be transmitted via 
the Department's Student Aid Internet Gateway (formerly Title IV Wide 
Area Network or Title IV WAN). Specific information on this electronic 
transmission is provided in ``Dear Partner'' letter CB-00-11 that was

[[Page 46443]]

issued in July 2000. Transmit the Reallocation Form data to us only if 
you are releasing 1999-2000 campus-based funds or are requesting 
supplemental 2000-2001 FWS funds.
    Although the FISAP is not due until October 1, 2000, you must 
complete the Campus-Based Reallocation Form electronic data 
transmission prior to midnight, Eastern time, on August 25, 2000. (For 
purposes of this notice, this deadline means that an institution has 
all of August 25, 2000, to transmit electronically.)

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: The Department will reallocate unexpended 
FWS Federal funds from the 1999-2000 award year as supplemental 
allocations for the 2000-2001 award year under the FWS Program. 
Supplemental allocations will be issued this fall in accordance with 
the reallocation procedures contained in the Higher Education Act of 
1965, as amended (HEA). Under section 442(d) of the HEA, unexpended FWS 
funds returned to the Secretary must be reallocated to eligible 
institutions that used at least 10 percent of the total FWS Federal 
funds granted to the institution to compensate students employed in 
community services. Because reallocated FWS funds will be distributed 
on the basis of fair share shortfall criteria, you must also have a 
fair share shortfall to receive these funds. A fair share shortfall 
means that you have an unmet need for FWS funds as determined by the 
FWS allocation formula in the HEA that uses data reported on the FISAP. 
You must use all the reallocated FWS Federal funds to compensate 
students employed in community services. To ensure consideration for 
supplemental FWS Federal funds for the 2000-2001 award year, you must 
submit the Campus-Based Reallocation Form data by August 25, 2000.

Applicable Regulations

    The following regulations apply to the Federal Work-Study Program:
    (1) Student Assistance General Provisions, 34 CFR part 668.
    (2) General Provisions for the Federal Perkins Loan Program, 
Federal Work-Study Program, and Federal Supplemental Educational 
Opportunity Grant Program, 34 CFR part 673.
    (3) Federal Work-Study Programs, 34 CFR part 675.
    (4) Institutional Eligibility under the Higher Education Act of 
1965, as amended, 34 CFR part 600.
    (5) New Restrictions on Lobbying, 34 CFR part 82.
    (6) Governmentwide Debarment and Suspension (Nonprocurement) and 
Governmentwide Requirements for Drug-Free Workplace (Grants), 34 CFR 
part 85.
    (7) Drug-Free Schools and Campuses, 34 CFR part 86.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: For technical assistance concerning 
the Campus-Based Reallocation Form or other operational procedures of 
the campus-based programs, contact Mr. Milton Thomas, Jr., Student 
Financial Assistance, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland 
Avenue, SW., Portals Building, Suite 600D, Washington, DC 20202-5353. 
Telephone (202) 708-9756. Individuals who use a telecommunications 
device for the deaf (TDD) may call the Federal Information Relay 
Service (FIRS) at 1-800-877-8339.
    Individuals with disabilities may obtain this document in an 
alternate format (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape or computer 
diskette) by contacting the Alternate Format Center at (202) 260-9895 
between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Friday.

Electronic Access to this Document

    You may view this document, as well as all other Department of 
Education documents published in the Federal Register, in text or Adobe 
Portable Document Format (PDF) on the Internet at either of the 
following sites:


To use the PDF version you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is 
available free at either of the previous sites. If you have questions 
about using the PDF version, call the U.S. Government Printing Office 
(GPO), toll free at 1-888-293-6498 or in the Washington, DC area at 
(202) 512-1530.

    Note: The official version of this document is the document 
published in the Federal Register. Free internet access to the 
official edition of the Federal Register and the code of Federal 
Regulations is available on GPO Access at: http://

    Program Authority: 42 U.S.C. 2752.

    Dated: July 24, 2000.
Greg Woods,
Chief Operating Officer, Student Financial Assistance.
[FR Doc. 00-19069 Filed 7-25-00; 10:41 am]