"Grantmaking at ED" is an updated version of this document.
Table of Contents
- Before We Begin
- How do I apply for student financial assistance?
- How do I get more information about formula grant programs?
- Let's Get Started
- What is a discretionary grant?
- What is a cooperative agreement?
- How does the Department set up discretionary grant programs?
- Who runs the Department's discretionary grant programs?
- How do I find out about the Department's discretionary grant programs?
- How do I learn if I am eligible to receive a discretionary grant?
- On The Paper Trail
- How do I apply for funding from a Department discretionary grant program?
- What is an application package?
- How do I get an application package?
- How does the Department decide what goes into an application package?
- What are certifications and assurances?
- What are regulations?
- What are funding priorities?
- Is there anything I can do to help shape regulations and funding priorities?
- How do I get help filling out application forms?
- What do I need to know about indirect costs and the indirect cost rate when preparing my application?
- What do I need to know about protection of human subjects in research when preparing my application?
- Where do I send the completed application?
- What happens if I miss the application deadline?
- What if I find an error or realize I have omitted something in my application after the deadline?
- What happens to an application once the Department receives it?
- What happens if my application is not eligible?
- Waiting To Hear
- How does the Department review my application?
- What criteria do reviewers use to score my application?
- How does the Department take into account variations in scoring practices among reviewers?
- Does a high score guarantee funding?
- How long does it take the Department to decide on my application?
- How can I become an application reviewer?
- Getting Funded!
- What happens to my application after the application review process?
- How does the Department decide who gets funded?
- How do I learn that my application has been funded?
- Is an application always funded for the entire amount requested?
- What information does my Grant Award Notification contain?
- What does it mean if my project has cost sharing/matching requirements?
- What happens after I get the grant award?
- How do I actually get my grant funds?
- How long does it take to get my grant funds?
- How do I get funds after the first year if my organization receives a multi-year award?
- Doing It Right
- What responsibilities do I have under a discretionary grant or cooperative agreement?
- What must I do if I need to change some part of my project from the original application?
- What can I do to help my request for a change get processed more quickly?
- What are OMB circulars? Do they apply to my grant award?
- How do I make sure that I am complying with the regulations that apply to my award?
- Do grant team members visit my project?
- What do I need to do to prepare for a site visit?
- Wrapping It Up
- What happens after the project has ended?
- What is my role in this process? What responsibilities do I have after the project has ended?
- What happens if I cannot send my final report by the due date because I have not finished the work of the project?
- What happens if I have completed the work of the project but cannot send my final report by the due date for some other valid reason?
- How do I get help completing my final report?
- Where do I send my final report and how many do I need to send?
- What happens if I do not send the Department required reports?
- Do I have to keep any records related to my grant project after the Department closes out my grant?
- Just One More Thing
- What are the audit requirements related to my grant?
- What happens if the Office of Inspector General selects my project for an audit?
- What happens if the audit determines certain costs or activities are unallowable?
- Can I appeal the Department's decision that I must repay money?
For the user's convenience we have also created an ASCII version of this document and compressed it (35K) for ease of downloading.
Last Modified: 10/28/2004