Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
On March 13, 2017, the Department released a revised template for the consolidated State plan under section 8302 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA), as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). The purpose of the consolidated State plan is to provide parents with quality, transparent information about how the ESEA, as amended by the ESSA, will be implemented in their State.
Even though a State Educational Agency (SEA) submits only the required information in its consolidated State plan, an SEA must still meet all ESEA requirements for each included program. For any program not included in a consolidated State plan, the SEA must submit individual program State plans that meet the statutory and regulatory requirements of each respective program.
- An SEA may choose to submit its consolidated State plan or individual program State plans by either April 3, 2017, or September 18, 2017. The Department will conduct a peer review following each submission deadline.
- After the Secretary approves a State plan, consistent with ESEA section 1111(a)(6)(B), an SEA may submit a request to amend its plan. In the future, the Department will provide more information on the process for submitting State plan amendments to the Department.
States that submitted consolidated State plans
- • Dear colleague letter on state plan amendments, school identification, reporting, and technical assistance (October 24, 2019)
- ESEA Dear Colleague Letter on State Plan Amendments (November 14, 2018)
- ESSA Dear Colleague Letter on School Support and Improvement Activities and Consultation (April 10, 2017)
- ESSA State Plan Submission
- ESEA State Plan Peer Reviewers
- Fall Peer Reviewer On-Site Training (October 30, 2017)
- Consolidated State Plans Peer Reviewer Training Webinar (September 14, 2017)
- Consolidated State Plans Peer Reviewer Training Webinar (September 12, 2017)
- Consolidated State Plans Reminders Webinar (August 1, 2017)
- Consolidated State Plan Frequently Asked Questions (June 16, 2017)
- Peer Reviewer training presentation: Mc-Kinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program (April 26, 2017)
- Peer Reviewer training presentation : Title I, Part A and Title III, Part A (April 3, and 5, 2017)
- Webinar presentation: State Plan Peer Review Criteria (March 30, 2017)
- State Plan Peer Review Criteria (March 28, 2017)
- Webinar presentation: Consolidated State plan peer review process (March 22, 2017)
- Webinar presentation: Revised State Plan Template (March 15, 2017)
- Press Release
- Fact Sheet
- Secretary DeVos Letter regarding updated consolidated State plans (March 13, 2017)
- Secretary DeVos’ Letter to States regarding consolidated State plans (February 10, 2017)
- ESSA technical assistance resources