The Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) includes in title I, part B of the ESEA a new demonstration authority under which an SEA or consortium of SEAs that meets certain application requirements may establish, operate, and evaluate an innovative assessment system, including for use in the statewide accountability system, with the goal of using the innovative assessment system after the demonstration authority ends to meet the academic assessment and statewide accountability system requirements under title I, part A of the ESEA.
The IADA will provide up to seven State educational agencies (SEAs), including consortia of SEAs, with the authority to establish and operate an innovative assessment system in its public schools. SEAs may apply to receive the IADA on an annual basis.
General Requirements for the IADA
- Final regulations for the IADA
- Federal Register Notice Inviting Applications (September 17, 2018)
- Application Package for Innovative Assessment Demonstration Authority (MS WORD) [295KB] -- (PDF) [627KB] (Applications due December 17, 2018)
2019 State Applications for the IADA
2018 State Applications for the IADA
- Application Addendum (June 19, 2018)
- Peer Review Notes
- State Interim Feedback Letter
- Approval Letter (July 24, 2018)