Office of the Under Secretary
OFFICE OF THE UNDER SECRETARY
This Office, under the leadership of the Under Secretary, assists the Secretary in the discharge of Secretarial duties and responsibilities.
The Under Secretary coordinates policies, programs, and activities related to vocational and adult education, postsecondary education, college grant aid, and the Federal Student Aid.
The Under Secretary is also responsible for the administration of the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities Staff
The White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities Staff oversees a comprehensive government wide initiative of analytic and capacity building activities designed to enhance the participation of historically black colleges and universities in all Federally sponsored programs. In consultation with the Office of Management and Budget and the heads of other executive agencies, the staff establishes annual goals for each agency to increase the capabilities of historically black colleges and universities.
In performing its responsibilities, the Staff:
- Reviews legislation, regulations, procedures, and practices of all executive agencies.
- Notifies heads of executive agencies of potential regulatory or procedural barriers that hamper the participation of historically black colleges and universities in the particular agency's programs.
- Reviews program assessment studies conducted under government auspices to measure progress toward the elimination of procedural and regulatory barriers.
- Develops and implements a program information system to keep historically black colleges and universities apprised of all Federal programs from which they might benefit.
- Prepares an annual report from the Secretary of Education to the President on the levels of participation by historically black colleges and universities and makes appropriate recommendations for improving the Federal effort.
Order of Succession
In the event that the Under Secretary dies, resigns or is otherwise unable to perform the functions and duties of the office, and the office is thereby deemed to be vacant, the Principal Deputy Under Secretary shall temporarily perform the functions and duties of the office in an acting capacity.
In instances where the office is not vacant, but the Principal Deputy Under Secretary is absent, the following officials, in the order shown, shall perform the functions and duties of the office:
- Principal Deputy Under Secretary
- Deputy Under Secretary
- Assistant Secretary, Office of Postsecondary Education