Please share this weekly fact sheet with your colleagues
Edited by Ellen Kelly-Holland
State Profile Information
State Liaisons are working with their States' representatives to validate data and information during March for inclusion in the new state profile database. The system will come on line in April for the State Liaisons to insure the validity data is available for the Assistant Secretary's use and to respond to inquiries from the field. This will be the first time that the division will have this data available in a systematic format. State Directors are encouraged to contact their State Liaison with any questions.
President Outlines Initiative to Provide Quality Teachers
Earlier this week President Bush outlined his initiative to provide a quality teacher in every classroom in America. Using the new provisions in the No Child Left Behind Act in conjunction with his budget request, the federal government will invest more than $4 billion in 2002 alone to improve teacher quality and strengthen teacher recruitment throughout America. For more information, see <http://www.ed.gov/PressReleases/03-2002/wh-020304.html>.
America's Career Resource Network Spring Meeting
The America's Career Resource Network (ACRN) spring meeting will be held at the Sheraton Suites in Alexandria, VA, March 19 - 22. The meeting will begin with a reception and resource sharing session. The following days meetings will consist of working groups facilitated by the federal staff. Working group topics will include: accountability and evaluation of ACRN effectiveness, grantee product and publication development, dissemination of network resources and products, and network training and support. ACRN project directors and State Career Development Supervisors will be in attendance. Questions should be directed to Jennifer Graban.
Positions at OVAE
OVAE is presently taking applications for two positions in its Division of Adult Education and Literacy. The positions are listed, along with a link to the vacancy announcements and information on how to apply:
- Branch Chief of the Program Improvement Branch and
- a leadership position in ED's Community Technology Centers Program.
Calendar of Events
- ACRN Spring Meeting, March 19-22, Alexandria, VA
- Program Quality Initiative Institute, May 13-14, 2002, Jacksonville, FL
- Train-the-Trainer Institute, August 8-9, 2002, Atlanta, GA
Did You Know?
- All guidance and other information issued by the Department related to the implementation of the Carl D. Perkins Vocational and Technical Education Act of 1998 (Public Law 105-332) is being posted on this website at a regular basis.
- In an effort to keep our office informed about any changes in contact information, title changes, address changes, email changes or telephone numbers, please email your changes to Carole Gisriel.