Please share this weekly fact sheet with your colleagues
Edited by Ellen Kelly-Holland
UPDATE on the Development of the 2002-2004 CAR
First, DVTE staff members thank all the state and federal staff that contributed to the revision of the FY 2000-2001 CAR. The FY 2002-2004 CAR document has been modified to include suggestions from the field. This draft document is currently being reviewed and edited by a team of division staff members. Following this review, a working draft will be shared with the five states that volunteered to continue their effort to improve the CAR document. Over the next week, the five state representatives will review and discuss the CAR document. Final revisions will be incorporated into the draft document that is submitted to the Office of Management and Budget in early March.
Copies of the draft CAR document will be available through the individual state liaisons after submission to OMB.
March Telephone Conference Calls to States
The next round of telephone conference calls is coming up in March. The topics for the calls will be incentive grants, teacher certification, Perkins reauthorization and an update on the Program Quality Initiative Institute. Vickie Schray will lead a discussion on the latest developments on incentive grants. Peggy Zelinko and George Spicely will start a discussion on teacher certification. It is hoped that states will share with each other their teacher certification processes. There will be general discussion on the Perkins reauthorization and a brief update on the Program Quality Initiative Institute. The schedule for the calls is listed below.
March 5, 2:00-3:00, Eastern Time: Connecticut, Delaware, New Jersey, Nebraska, West Virginia, Illinois, South Carolina, Indiana, District of Columbia, Missouri, Montana, Mississippi, Ohio, Alabama, Virginia, Alaska, Arizona, Kansas
March 7, 2:00-3:00, Eastern Time: Vermont, Virgin Islands, Georgia, New Hampshire, Michigan, Maryland, New York, Maine, Puerto Rico, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Wyoming
March 12, 2:00-3:00, Eastern Time: New Mexico, Nevada, North Carolina, Kansas, Louisiana, Utah, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Iowa
March 14, 2:00-3:00, Eastern Time: Hawaii, Washington, California, South Dakota, Oregon, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Idaho, North Dakota, Arkansas, Texas, Florida, Tennessee, Colorado
National Leadership Institute
Do you want to become a leader in CTE?
Do you want to become part of a prestigious group of scholars?
Do you know someone with leadership potential whom you would recommend for participation in a year-long leadership training?
The National Dissemination Center for Career and Technical Education's 2002-2003 National Leadership Institute will help participants
- develop an understanding of the role of a leader and how to exercise responsibilities inherent in that role,
- develop effective strategies for engaging in continuous learning to enhance leadership qualities,
- improve your understanding of and ability to lead reform/change processes, and
- develop a new vision for career and technical education.
Complete an application available at the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) website to be considered as a 2002 scholar. Additional information about the National Leadership Institute is also available at their website. Contact: Rebecca Parker at 800-678-6011 ext. 2-9807, or send her an email. The deadline for applying is April 15, 2002.
Calendar of Events
- ACRN Spring Meeting, March 19-22, Alexandria, VA
- Program Quality Initiative Institute, May 13-14, 2002, Jacksonville, FL
- Train-the-Trainer Institute, August 8-9, 2002, Atlanta, GA
Did You Know?
- All guidance and other information issued by the Department related to the implementation of the Carl D. Perkins Vocational and Technical Education Act of 1998 (Public Law 105-332) is being posted on this website at a regular basis.
- In an effort to keep our office informed about any changes in contact information, title changes, address changes, email changes or telephone numbers, please email your changes to Carol Gisriel.