U.S. Department of Education: Promoting Educational Excellence for all Americans
U.S. Network for Education Information (USNEI)
Home About USNEI Site Map Contact Us ../feedback
International Education
Non-U.S. Education Systems Going Abroad U.S. Study Abroad Programs
Studying in Another System
Teaching Overseas
Additional Resources

Disclaimer & Policy

While Overseas

U.S. consulates provide many services for Americans abroad and are located in every country with which the U.S. has diplomatic relations. It is a good idea to learn what consulates do and where the one closest to where you will be staying is located. Registration at the local U.S. consulate lets them know that you are in the country and will make it much easier for them to provide service to you.

Information about the roles of the consular service may be obtained from the U.S. Department of State. This is an especially rich resource for a wide variety of sections of the USNEI site.

U.S. Missions Online are accessible from the U.S. Department of State's Web site.

Links to U.S. Consulates and Embassies Worldwide

Legal information is available from the U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs pertaining to what to do in situations such as cases of legal trouble abroad, international adoptions and parental child abductions.

Educational Advising Services

The United States Information Service (USIS) administers a worldwide network of overseas Educational Advising Centers (EACs) whose mission is to help persons and organizations in a particular country who are interested in education in the United States. While the main work of these Centers consists in advising local nationals, they can also provide information and assistance to Americans living or working within the areas that they serve.

A Contact List of USIS Overseas Educational Advising Centers is available online from the U.S. Information Agency. A printed list may be ordered from the College Board.

Some U.S. colleges and universities, foundations, and associations that sponsor or administer overseas educational experiences have offices or affiliates abroad. Persons traveling under their auspices should obtain information about any such overseas services from the organization or institution they are dealing with. Many of these organizations and institutions are mentioned and linked to elsewhere on the USNEI site.

Mail Delivery

The U.S. Postal Service can assist you in arranging for mail to be forwarded to a foreign destination and for sending mail home.