U.S. Department of Education: Promoting Educational Excellence for all Americans
U.S. Network for Education Information (USNEI)
Home About USNEI Site Map Contact Us Feedback
International Education
Non-U.S. Education Systems Going Abroad U.S. Study Abroad Programs
Studying in Another System
Teaching Overseas
Additional Resources

Disclaimer & Policy

Returning Home

Some of the issues that can arise on the way back from an overseas educational experience may need to be addressed before you arrive back home. The U.S. Consulate can assist you with advice on many matters, but sometimes it is best to get the answer from another source or do so before departure due to lack of good overseas sources of information. Listed below are some issues that you might possibly confront and places to go to get needed advice before you depart, thereby avoiding a potentially bad experience on your return trip.

The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) regulates re-entry into the United States by U.S. citizens and permanent residents, and entry by foreign nationals. The INS Web Site provides a rich source of information on applicable laws and policies as well as online U.S. visa application forms.

The U.S. Bureau of Customs regulates what returning and entering persons may bring with them into the United States in the way of property and assets. It is a good idea to learn beforehand what you can bring back with you, and how much.

The U.S. Department of the Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control can provide information and guidance regarding any property or assets you own overseas and what obligations it may create for you under U.S. tax laws.

The Agricultural Public Health Information Service (APHIS) provides detailed information on the rules for bringing food, animals, and plants into the United States from overseas.

Information on U.S. entry visas and access to online application forms are available from the U.S. Department of State for foreign nationals (including U.S. residents) and for U.S. citizens with foreign family members or dependents who seek to enter the United States.