U.S. Department of Education: Promoting Educational Excellence for all Americans
U.S. Network for Education Information (USNEI)
Home About USNEI Site Map Contact Us Feedback
International Education
Non-U.S. Education Systems Going Abroad U.S. Study Abroad Programs
Studying in Another System
Teaching Overseas
Additional Resources

Disclaimer & Policy

Foreign Diplomatic & Consular Services

In order to stay in a foreign country for the purpose of study, research, or work, or for an extended period of time, it will be necessary to obtain approval from the host country government. This generally takes the form of a visa and often other documents as well, such as proof of insurance, an offer of admission or a temporary position, proof of adequate financial resources, and proof of the intention to return to the United States. Information on such requirements can be obtained from the U.S. Department of State (see Before Departure) and from the embassies and consulates of foreign countries having diplomatic relations with the United States.

Accredited foreign embassies and consulates to the United States are listed by the U.S. Department of State. The list is official and is updated regularly.

Foreign consular chancery addresses are also available from the U.S. Department of State.

The Electronic Embassy provides links to all Washington, DC foreign embassies that operate web sites and contact information for those that do not. In many cases these embassy sites provide online assistance for visa applicants, and in some cases specific information for prospective students and links to consulates located elsewhere within the United States. Embassy web sites may also provide links to agencies, organizations, and institutions in the home country.

Embassies and Consulates Worldwide

EmbassyWeb.Com provides links to the foreign missions of many countries, including the United States, located in capitols and major cities around the world.