- Educational Opportunity Centers
- Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement
- Student Support Services
- Talent Search
- Training Program for Federal TRIO Staff
- Upward Bound
- Upward Bound Math/Science
- Veterans Upward Bound
- Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN)
- Career and Educational Pathways Exploration System (Career Pathways) Program
- Child Care Access Means Parents in School
- Thurgood Marshall Legal Educational Opportunity
- Erma Byrd Scholarship Program
- Funding Opportunities in the Student Service area and/or OPE-wide
- U.S. Department of Education (ED) Federal Register Notices
- The table of Federal TRIO Programs Low-Income Levels is available.
- Letter to TRIO and GEAR UP programs' project directors about an ED and HHS collaborative for disconnected youth (MS Word, 76K)
- Grantmaking at ED, a non-technical summary of ED’s discretionary grant process and the laws and regulations that govern it.
- Training Oppportunities for Federal TRIO Programs' Personnel
- TRIO 50th Anniversary Retrospective (an ED YouTube video best viewed in Google Chrome, 7:51 minutes)
- Get information about federal student loan reduction or forgiveness.
Other Access and Scholarship Programs
News and Information
About the Student Service
The Student Service performs planning, program development, and grant administration functions for the Federal TRIO programs; the Child Care Access Means Parents in School program; the Thurgood Marshall Legal Educational Opportunity program; Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP); the College Access Challenge Grant Program; the Graduate Fellowships Programs (Title VII, Part A, HEA); and the Erma Byrd Scholarship Program. Dr. Linda Byrd-Johnson is the Senior Director of the Student Service.
The service defines and articulates program goals and objectives; identifies and implements policy changes needed to achieve goals and objectives; evaluates program effectiveness; develops and updates policy manuals, program regulations, and proposed legislative amendments; prepares program budget requests; and prepares an annual funding schedule and funding strategy, incorporating the Secretary's goals and objectives; develops funding criteria and funding priorities for publication in the Federal Register.
The Student Service is responsible for managing the grant awards processes for new applicants and non-competing continuation grantees and for providing overall management and monitoring of ongoing projects, including technical assistance to funded grantees, data gathering and analysis, and grant close-out activities.
U.S. Department of Education
Office of Postsecondary Education
Higher Education Programs, Student Service
Lyndon Baines Johnson Building, 400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
Washington, DC 20202
Questions or Comments? OPE_TRIO@ed.gov
Follow OPE on Twitter