Skip Office Navigation
OPE: Office of Postsecondary Education
Current Section
Travel Abroad Safety and Health

The International and Foreign Language Education (IFLE) office strongly recommends that all U.S. citizens consult the following resources, whether traveling abroad for study, business, work or leisure.

Travel Checklist

U.S. citizens traveling outside of the United States should refer to the U.S. Department of State’s Web site dedicated to providing U.S. citizens with important information about what they can do to prepare for a safe trip anywhere outside the United States. The Traveler's Checklist page contains up-to-date information on trip planning as well as travel alerts and warnings: Traveler's Checklist.

Travel Registration

U.S. citizens traveling outside of the United States should register with the U.S. Department of State and make sure to provide their contact information in host countries. Travel registration is a free service through the Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), and it enables the Department of State to provide assistance in case of an emergency. The registration is a quick and easy process and can be completed online when you sign up for the STEP Program.

Health and Accident Insurance

U.S. citizens traveling outside of the United States should be covered by health and accident insurance plans. The insurance should include Emergency Medical Evacuation as well as Repatriation of Remains coverage. Travelers should check with their existing health plans on what coverage is provided and consider purchasing additional coverage, if needed. Additional information can be found here for Your Health Abroad.

Health experts recommend vaccinations for travel to some countries. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) can provide you their recommendations for vaccinations and other travel health precautions abroad.

Other Related Information

  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Travelers’ Health Web site: Provides information on common travel health topics such as food and water safety, disease outbreaks and health advisories, travel preparation and required/recommended vaccinations.
  • LGBTI Travel Information: Information, tips, and resources for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex people and families planning to travel abroad.
  • Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools (REMS) Technical Assistance (TA) Center: Designed to support early childhood education centers, K-12 districts and schools and institutions of higher education, the REMS TA Center has posted a comprehensive set of resources on how to manage and address infectious disease, including the recently released CDC, guidance on Zika virus, as well as resources addressing the seasonal flu, non-polio enterovirus, and everyday infectious disease planning.
  • Safety Abroad First - Educational Travel Information (SAFETI) Clearinghouse Project: Focuses on working with colleges and universities, higher education associations, and U.S. government agencies to provide support and resources to assist institutions and their staff and faculty in supporting health and safety abroad. The resources that have been developed are shared through the SAFETI Clearinghouse Web site.
  • Students Abroad: The U.S. Department of State’s Web site specifically designed for students abroad, their parents, and study abroad advisors.
  • Traveling with Disabilities: Tips and resources for persons traveling abroad with disabilities. Information to help you prepare for your trip, along with guidance for service animals, assistive equipment, medical considerations, and country-specific accommodations information.


| IFLE Home | U.S. Department of State Travel | CDC Travel's Health |

Last Modified: 11/09/2016