So just who is the U.S. Department of Education (ED) Office of Inspector General (OIG) and what do we do? The links below will provide you with information on the history and mission of the Inspectors General, specific information on the OIG, and reports that highlight the work we plan to conduct this year, the most significant management challenges facing the Department, and our most recent Semiannual Report to Congress. If you have any questions or if would like additional information on the OIG, please contact the OIG Public Affairs Office at (202) 245-7023, or email OIGPublicAffairs2@ed.gov.
Inspector General Authorities and Responsibilities
- Fact Sheet on statutory authorities and responsibilities of the OIG.
- Read a report produced by the Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency on the history of the Inspectors General and more information on our authorities and responsibilities.
- Visit www.oversight.com, a publicly accessible, searchable website containing public reports from Federal Inspectors General who are members of the Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency.
2021 - 2022 Annual Plan
- This plan presents the major initiatives that the OIG intends to undertake in fiscal years 2021-2022.
READ (PDF - 801K)
2021 Management Challenges
- Each year, the Inspectors General are required to issue a report on the most serious management challenges facing their agencies. Click here to read the report on those challenges identified by the OIG for ED for FY 2021.
READ (PDF - 3.67M)
Semiannual Report to Congress