The Single Audit Act, as amended, establishes requirements for audits of States, local governments, Indian tribes, institutions of higher education (public or private nonprofit colleges and universities), and nonprofit organizations that expend a certain amount in Federal awards during its fiscal year (currently set at $750,000). The Single Audit Act amendments are implemented through Subpart F—Audit Requirements of Title 2 of C.F.R., Chapter II, Part 200 Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (2 CFR part 200).
Single audits are performed by independent auditors and encompass both financial and compliance components. The Compliance Supplement is based on the requirements of the 1996 Single Audit Act Amendments and 2 CFR part 200, subpart F, which provide for the issuance of a compliance supplement to assist auditors in performing the required audits. See below for links to recent compliance supplements available from the Office of Management and Budget.
Important Note Regarding Single Audit Submission Extensions due to COVID-19: OMB memo M-20-26 provided a 6‑month single audit extension for recipients and subrecipients with normal due dates from March 30, 2020, through June 30, 2020 (i.e. June 30, 2019 year-ends through September 30, 2019 year-ends) that had not filed their single audit with the Federal Audit Clearinghouse as of March 19, 2020. OMB also provided a 3-month single audit extension for recipients and subrecipients with normal due dates from July 31, 2020 through September 30, 2020 (i.e. October 31, 2019 through December 31, 2019 year-ends). Additionally, in light of the late issuance of audit guidance for the COVID‑19 programs contained in the 2020 Compliance Supplement addendum, OMB included in Appendix VII to the addendum a 3-month single audit extension for recipients and subrecipients that received COVID-19 funding with original due dates from October 1, 2020, through June 30, 2021 (i.e. January 1, 2020 through September 30, 2020 year-ends).
Per a document posted in Federal Register Volume 85, Number 239, for institutions of higher education and other entities that submit their audits through the Department of Education’s eZ-Audit system, the Department of Education will consider the submission timely if it is submitted through eZ-Audit at the same time it is timely submitted to the Federal Audit Clearinghouse under memo M‑20-26, the 2020 Compliance Supplement addendum, or any future extensions provided by OMB. See the published document for more information.
- 2020 Compliance Supplement (August 2020)
- 2020 Compliance Supplement Addendum: This addendum supplements the 2020 Compliance Supplement to provide additional guidance for programs with expenditures of COVID-19 awards that the auditor determines are major programs in audits performed under 2 CFR 200 Subpart F.
- 2019 Compliance Supplement (August 2019) (Important Note to Auditors and Auditees in the Federal Audit Clearinghouse Database: On September 20, 2019, the OMB issued this corrected edition of the 2019 Compliance Supplement (Supplement) which is dated August 2019 and replaces the previously released edition dated June 2019. For Single Audits subject to the 2019 Supplement, auditors are permitted to perform the audit using either the June 2019 or August 2019 edition of the Supplement for reports dated on or before October 31, 2019. Please document the version of the supplement that is used for the audit. Auditors are required to perform the audit using the August 2019 edition for reports that are dated after October 31, 2019)
- FSA Electronic Announcement: Single Audit Submission Requirements for Fiscal Years Ending Within Calendar Year 2019 and Future Fiscal Years
- FSA Electronic Announcement: Enforcement of Cybersecurity Requirements under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act
- 2018 Compliance Supplement (Note: Auditors must use the 2018 supplement and the 2017 supplement together. See the subsection titled “Purpose” within Part 1 for further explanation).
- FSA Electronic Announcement: Single Audit Submission Requirements for Fiscal Years Ending within Calendar Year 2018
The following resources are available to assist auditors that perform single audits:
- Uniform Guidance (2 CFR §200)
- Uniform Guidance Technical Assistance for ED Grantees
- OMB Circulars
- Federal Audit Clearinghouse
- Single Audit Resource Center
- CIGIE Single Audit Guides
- National Association of State Auditors, Comptrollers and Treasurers