The Single Audit Act, as amended, establishes requirements for audits of States, local governments, Indian tribes, institutions of higher education (public or private nonprofit colleges and universities), and nonprofit organizations that expend a certain amount in Federal awards during its fiscal year (currently set at $750,000). The Single Audit Act amendments are implemented through Subpart F—Audit Requirements of Title 2 of C.F.R., Chapter II, Part 200 Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (2 CFR part 200).
Single audits are performed by independent auditors and encompass both financial and compliance components. The Compliance Supplement is based on the requirements of the 1996 Single Audit Act Amendments and 2 CFR part 200, subpart F, which provide for the issuance of a compliance supplement to assist auditors in performing the required audits. See below for links to recent compliance supplements available from the Office of Management and Budget.
Important Note Regarding Single Audit Submission Extensions due to COVID-19: OMB memo M-21-20 provides a 6 month single audit extension for recipients and subrecipients that have fiscal year ends through June 30, 2021, that had not filed their single audit with the Federal Audit Clearinghouse as of March 19, 2021.
Per a document posted in Federal Register Volume 85, Number 239, for institutions of higher education and other entities that submit their audits through the Department of Education’s eZ-Audit system, the Department of Education will consider the submission timely if it is submitted through eZ-Audit at the same time it is timely submitted to the Federal Audit Clearinghouse under single audit extension guidance issued by OMB. See the published document for more information.
Important Note for Private Non-Profit Institutions of Higher Education Regarding the Financial Responsibility Supplemental Schedule: On September 30, 2021, the Department of Education issued Dear Colleague Letter GEN-21-07: Financial Responsibility Supplemental Schedule Audit Requirements, to communicate its expectation regarding auditor’s evaluating and reporting on the Financial Responsibility Supplemental Schedule. See the Dear Colleague Letter for details.
- 2022 Compliance Supplement (April 2022)
- 2021 Compliance Supplement (August 2021)
- 2021 Compliance Supplement Addendums: Addendum 1 adds guidance on the Education Stabilization Fund (assistance listing number 84.425) changes resulting from the American Rescue Plan. Addendum 2 adds guidance for seven programs from other agencies.
- 2020 Compliance Supplement (August 2020)
- 2020 Compliance Supplement Addendum: This addendum supplements the 2020 Compliance Supplement to provide additional guidance for programs with expenditures of COVID-19 awards that the auditor determines are major programs in audits performed under 2 CFR 200 Subpart F.
The following resources are available to assist auditors that perform single audits:
- Uniform Guidance (2 CFR §200)
- Uniform Guidance Technical Assistance for ED Grantees
- OMB Circulars
- Federal Audit Clearinghouse
- Single Audit Resource Center
- CIGIE Single Audit Guides
- National Association of State Auditors, Comptrollers and Treasurers