The below referenced pages contain guides created by the Office of Management and Budget and ED-OIG to be used in auditing entities that receive U.S. Department of Education funds. These guides are not intended to be a complete manual of procedures, nor intended to supplant the auditor’s judgment of the work required. Auditors must recognize that laws and regulations change periodically and that delays will occur between such changes and revisions to these guides. Accordingly, the auditor should perform reasonable procedures to ensure that compliance requirements identified as subject to audit are current and determine whether there are any additional provisions of Federal awards relevant to the compliance requirements subject to the audit that should be covered. The procedures in these guides may not cover all circumstances or conditions encountered at a particular school or institution. The auditor should use professional judgment and due care to tailor the audit procedures so that the appropriate objectives are achieved.
Visit one of the following pages for guides and resources unique to the entity subject to audit:
- Single Audits: States, local governments, Indian tribes, institutions of higher education (public or private nonprofit colleges and universities), and nonprofit organizations that expend $750,000 in Federal awards during the fiscal year.
- Proprietary Schools, Foreign Schools, and Third-Party Servicer Audits: Proprietary institutions of higher education, foreign institutions, and third-party servicers that participate in or administer ED’s student financial assistance programs under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965.
- Lenders and Lender Servicer Audits: Lenders holding Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) program loans and servicers that contract with lenders to administer or service FFEL program loans.
- Guaranty Agency Servicer Audits: Servicers that contract with guaranty agencies to administer or service FFEL program loans.
The following general resources are available to assist auditors that perform these audits:
- AICPA Clarified Statements on Auditing Standards
- AICPA Clarified Statements on Standards for Attestation Engagements
- GAO Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards
- United States Code
- Higher Education Act of 1965
- Code of Federal Regulations Annual Edition
- Code of Federal Regulations Current Edition
- Federal Register Documents for Education
- U.S. Department of Education Homepage
- U.S. Department of Education's Organizational Directory
- AICPA Governmental Audit Quality Center
- AICPA Illustrative Auditor’s Reports
- Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency
- System for Award Management
- Current Value of Funds Rate