News and Resources
|You are here: OESE Home > OSHS> News & Resources|
The Office of Safe and Healthy Students has a steadily growing inventory of fact sheets and resources. New resources are under development and will be added soon. We also have a Safe & Supportive Schools News Bulletin (ListServ) that we hope you sign up for.
Fact Sheets and Resources
Safe and Healthy Students:
- New Addressing the Risk of Violent Behavior in Youth - will help teachers and school personnel identify behaviors and other signs that could result in youth violence. (June 2018)
- Examples of Policies and Emerging Practices for Supporting Transgender Students (PDF, 599KB)
- Human Trafficking 101 for School Administrators and Staff (July 28, 2014)
- Human Trafficking of Children in the United School - A Fact Sheet for Schools (April 2012)
- Human Trafficking in America's Schools (2015). Human Trafficking in America's Schools is a free guide for school staff that includes information about risk factors, recruitment, and how to identify trafficking; what to do if you suspect trafficking, including sample school protocols and policies; and other resources and potential partnership opportunities.
- Teen Dating Violence - A Fact Sheet for Schools (August 26, 2013)
- Youth Suicide in the United States - A Fact Sheet for Schools (August 2015)
PDF(490K) | MS Word(46K)
- Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting: United States Government's Response (July 2014)
- Growing up Drug-Free: A Parent’s Guide to Prevention (2017) - Parents and caregivers will find this publication a user-friendly and valuable guide for what to do and how to communicate about the harmful effects of illicit drugs and alcohol on children and youth, from elementary through high school.
Emergency Management and School Preparedness:
- Preparing for Infectious Disease: Department of Education Recommendations to Ensure the Continuity of Teaching and Learning for Schools (K-12) During Extended Student Absence or School Dismissal (December 2014)
- Guides for Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plan (2013). These publications support an all-hazards approach to collaborative emergency management planning that is guided by the four phases (prevention - mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery). Publications may be accessed at: http://rems.ed.gov/REMSPublications.aspx.
- Practical Information on Crisis Planning: A Guide for Schools and Communities. The guide will give schools, districts and communities the critical concepts and components of good crisis planning, stimulate thinking about the crisis preparedness process, and provide examples of promising practices. PDF (1.6M)
- Prior Knowledge of Potential School‐Based Violence: Information Students Learn May Prevent a Targeted Attack, often called “The Bystander Report”, was developed by the Secret Service and the Department of Education. The report provides knowledge of potential school-based violence and information for students that may prevent a targeted attack.
- The Emergency Planning website provides school leaders with information to plan for any emergency, including natural disasters, violent incidents and terrorist acts.
Safe & Supportive Schools ListServ Enrollment
ED'S SAFE AND SUPPORTIVE SCHOOLS NEWS BULLETIN
If you are interested in receiving prevention education information and opportunities, please self-enroll to receive ED's SAFE AND SUPPORTIVE SCHOOLS NEWS BULLETIN. The purpose of this listserv is to provide a timely information outlet for the Office of Elementary and Secondary Education's Office of Safe and Healthy Students. The LISTSERV content may include information about the OSHS program units (Well-Rounded Educational Opportunities, Safe and Healthy Students, Education Technology, Homeless, Neglected and Delinquent Youth, and Emergency Management and School Preparedness), legislation, and Federal grant opportunities. Click on the link to self-enroll for the OSHS PreventED listserv.