Office of the Deputy Secretary
Mission and Responsibilities
As part of implementing Enterprise Risk Management throughout the Department, RMS is responsible for identifying risks and taking effective action to manage and mitigate risks that may adversely affect the advancement of the Department’s mission. RMS achieves these results in coordination with the Department’s Principal Offices (Offices).
- Develops and coordinates a Department-wide risk management strategy.
- Works with States and other grantees to improve their management of Department of Education grant funds.
- Coordinates and supports consistent, quality management of formula and discretionary grants and cooperative agreements Department-wide.
- Develops risk analysis tools and strategies for use by the Offices and trains ED staff to use these tools.
- Supports grant-making Offices in developing annual Grants Monitoring Plans that integrate a risk management approach to monitoring.
- Works with all components of the organization to develop and institute Department-wide grant policies and procedures for the administration and management of formula and discretionary grants and cooperative agreements add to promote grantee accountability and results.
- Partners with the Training and Development Center to provide fiscal and grants management training to program and staff offices, and ensures that training effectively builds staff capacity.
RMS Contact Information
Director, Margo Anderson