Since 1968, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) has conducted the Civil Rights Data Collection (CRDC) to collect data on key education and civil rights issues in our nation's public schools. The collection was formerly administered as the Elementary and Secondary School Survey (E&S Survey).
The CRDC collects a variety of information including student enrollment and educational programs and services, most of which is disaggregated by race/ethnicity, sex, limited English proficiency, and disability. The CRDC is a longstanding and important aspect of the ED Office for Civil Rights (OCR) overall strategy for administering and enforcing the civil rights statutes for which it is responsible. Information collected by the CRDC is also used by other ED offices as well as policymakers and researchers outside of ED.
For further general information about the CRDC, visit the CRDC FAQ page.
Access CRDC Data
Data from the 2000, 2004, 2006, 2009-10, 2011-12, 2013-14, and 2015-16NEW! CRDC surveys are available in the CRDC reporting tool.
2015-16 CRDC ReportsNEW!
For OCR reports on the 2015-16 CRDC (released in April 2018), visit the CRDC 2015-16 page.
2017-18 CRDC NEW!
In October 2017, OCR received OMB approval to require all local educational agencies (LEA) in the country, including every public school district, charter schools, juvenile justice facilities, alternative schools, and schools serving only students with disabilities, to respond to the CRDC for the 2017-18 school year. A few changes were made to the CRDC, and those changes will have the net effect of reducing burden on school districts. For the 2017-18 CRDC, OCR will collect data on computer science classes and school internet access, and will no longer collect data on high school equivalency course exam results, Advanced Placement course exam results, and student chronic absenteeism. For more details about changes in the 2017-18 CRDC, go to Questions and Answers PDF (123K).
The 2017-18 CRDC school- and LEA-level survey forms contain instructions, definitions, and table layouts for the 2017-18 CRDC items.
- 2017-18 CRDC School Form COMING SOON
- 2017-18 CRDC LEA Form COMING SOON
- Detailed List of 2017-18 CRDC Data Elements PDF (89K)
Questions and Answers
- 2017-18 CRDC Questions and Answers PDF (118K)
To access additional technical assistance resources, please visit the CRDC Resource Center web site at https://crdc.grads360.org/.
2015-16, 2013-14, 2011-12, and 2009-10 CRDCs
The CRDCs for the 2015-16, 2013-14, and 2011-12 school years collected data from every public school and school district in the country. The 2009-10 CRDC collected data from a sample of approximately 7,000 public school districts and over 72,000 public schools. Resources for the 2015-16, 2013-14, 2011-12, and 2009-10 CRDCs are presented below.
- 2015-16 CRDC School Form PDF (1.5M)
- 2015-16 CRDC LEA Form PDF (425K)
- 2013-14 CRDC School Form MS WORD (1.2M)
- 2013-14 CRDC LEA Form MS WORD (205K)
- 2011-12 CRDC School and LEA Form MS WORD (695K)
- 2009-10 CRDC School and LEA Form MS WORD (687K)
- Detailed List of 2015-16 CRDC Data Elements PDF (97K)
- Detailed List of 2013-14 CRDC Data Elements MS WORD (35K)
- List of 2011-12 CRDC Data Elements PDF (55K)
- List of 2009-10 CRDC Data Elements PDF (60K)
Questions and Answers
- 2015-16 CRDC Questions and Answers PDF (104K)
- 2013-14 CRDC Questions and Answers MS WORD (87K)
- 2011-12 CRDC Questions and Answers
- 2009-10 CRDC Questions and Answers
- Civil Rights Data Collection page (for 2015-16) here
- Civil Rights Data Collection page (for 2013-14) here
- Data Snapshot: Discipline (March 2014) PDF (2.10M)
- Data Snapshot: Early Learning (March 2014) PDF (1.6M)
- Data Snapshot: College and Career Readiness (March 2014) PDF (2.7M)
- Data Snapshot: Teacher Equity (March 2014) PDF (2.1M)
- The Transformed CRDC: Data Summary (March 2012) PDF (805K)
- Gender Equity in Education (June 2012) PDF (436K)
- Gender Equity in Education: Data Note (June 2012) PDF (208K)
For additional information about the CRDC, please e-mail OCR at email@example.com.