In carrying out its responsibilities, PAG:
Oversees audit follow-up for the Department.
- Resolves discretionary grant award findings and formula award findings in Single Audit Reports and OIG External Audit Reports that deal with cash management (drawdown requests for reimbursement or advances and reconciliation of accounting records to the G5 System); sub-recipient monitoring audit findings related to submission of single audit reports, issuance of management decision on findings in the report and ensuring that the subrecipient takes timely and appropriate corrective action for formula grants. Resolving an audit report means making a management decision with issuance of a program determination letter as to whether or not to sustain the auditor's findings.
- Leads the Department’s "triage strategy" for GEPA (General Education Provisions Act) audit reports. The word "triage" comes from the strategy used in dealing with wounded soldiers on the battlefield -- that is, the type of care you receive depends upon the seriousness of your injuries. In the Department's case, the amount of attention an audit report receives is based on the seriousness of its audit finding(s). This replaces a less efficient system in which each audit report was accorded the same attention regardless of the severity of the problems disclosed.
- Annually updates the OMB's Compliance Supplement. The Compliance Supplement serves to identify existing important compliance requirements of the Single Audit Act Amendments of 1996, and provides auditors with a source of information concerning audit objectives and suggested audit procedures for determining compliance with OMB Uniform Guidance requirements.
- Serves as the central point in the Department for information regarding audit follow-up. In Related Links you will find information pertaining to other ED related sites as well as federal-wide sites containing laws and regulations governing ED programs.
- Developing, updating and implementing the Department's policy on Audit Follow-up.
For more detailed information about any of the above, please see PAG Contacts.
Last Modified: 10/25/2016