Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP)

The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) is a process by which employees who have been involuntarily separated may receive selection priority for jobs in agencies other than the one in which they were previously employed. (5 CFR Part 330)

If you are a displaced Federal employee, you may be entitled to receive special selection priority for one year after separation.

To receive ICTAP consideration you must:

  1. Apply to a position at or below the grade level of the position from which you have been separated. The position must not have a greater promotion potential than the position from which you were separated.
  2. Have a current (or last) performance rating of record of at least fully successful or equivalent. This must be submitted with your application package. (This requirement does not apply to candidates who are eligible due to compensable injury or disability retirement.)
  3. Occupy or be displaced from a position in the same local commuting area of the position for which you are requesting priority consideration.
  4. Submit your application by the vacancy announcement closing date and meet all the application criteria (e.g., submit all required documentation, etc.).
  5. Be rated well-qualified for the position as listed on the vacancy announcement.

The following categories of candidates are considered displaced employees:

A. Current or former career or career-conditional (tenure group I or II) competitive service employees who:

  1. Received a specific RIF separation notice or have been separated by RIF; or
  2. Separated because of a compensable injury, whose compensation has been terminated, and whose former agency certifies that it is unable to place; or
  3. Retired with a disability and whose disability annuity has been or is being terminated; or
  4. Upon receipt of a RIF separation notice retired on the effective date of the RIF and submits a Standard Form 50 that indicates "Retirement in lieu of RIF"; or
  5. Retired under the discontinued service retirement option; or
  6. Received a notice of proposed removal for declining a transfer of function or directed reassignment outside the commuting area or have been removed for declining a transfer of function or directed reassignment outside the commuting area.


B. Former Military Reserve or National Guard Technicians who are receiving a special Office of Personnel Management (OPM) disability retirement annuity under section 8337(h) or 8456 of title 5 United States Code.

ICTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:

  1. A copy of your RIF separation notice; notice of proposed removal for failure to relocate; notice of disability annuity termination; certification from your former agency that it cannot place you after your recovery from a compensable injury; or certification from the National Guard Bureau or Military Department that you are eligible for disability retirement;
  2. A copy of your SF-50 “Notification of Personnel Action” documenting your RIF separation, noting your positions, grade level, and duty location, and/or Agency certification of inability to place you through RPL, etc;
  3. A copy of your latest performance appraisal including your rating; and
  4. Any documentation from your agency that shows your current promotion potential.

Last Modified: 12/02/2021