Adult Basic and Literacy Education Fact Sheet
|PDF (259 KB)|
Career Pathways is an approach that has wide support among the federal agencies of Labor, Education, and Health and Human Services. In April 2012, the agencies issued joint guidance (http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/ten-attachment.pdf). In the guidance, career pathways is defined as a series of connected education and training strategies and support services that enable individuals to secure industry relevant certification, obtain employment within an occupational area, and advance to higher levels of future education and employment in that area. Bridge programs and effective instruction to support learners' advancement in basic skills are key to the success of these efforts for low-skilled adults. .
Kratos Learning Solutions (KLS), under contract with the Office of Vocational and Adult Education, is developing technical assistance resources that support the goals for increasing the quantity and quality of available career pathways instructional programming for low-skilled adults. This project assists State and local adult education providers in developing and delivering classes that enable low-skilled adults to progress on a career pathway, in addition to preparing them for success in postsecondary education. KLS subcontracted with the Center for Occupational Research and Development (CORD) to assist the delivery of outcomes and products. The project period runs from September 2010 to September 2013.
- Convene a technical workgroup comprised of a cross-section of adult education and workforce development stakeholder groups to inform the project work.
- Develop training for national, regional and/or State conferences, workshops, and events.
Outcomes and Products
- An online resource collection which includes dozens of sample courses, lesson plans, and "how to" resources that address key topics.
- Freely available, self-paced courses on building career pathways for low-skilled adults.
- An electronic professional learning community of practice.
- Quarterly newsletters designed to update State and local adult educators on the resources in the collection and how to use them.
Tanya Shuy: Tanya.Shuy@ed.gov
|Back to OVAE Fact Sheets|